icon

Better Bass With Windows Down

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevebvo 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1994 Dodge Intrepid, and the bass is noticeably better with the windows down.  My stereo consists of an MTX 81000D amp running two MTX 8000 12" subs pushed up against the back of the seats and firing towards the back of the car.  Thank you for any help.
stevebvo
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of enclosure are the subs in?  (ported/vented, sealed, bandpass?)   And when you say the bass is better, do you mean better for someone listening in the car, or better to hear outside the car?
stevebvo 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
It is a sealed enclosure, 1.10 cu. ft.  When your in the car, with the windows down, the bass is more powerful and accurate.
stevebvo
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
With the windows down, it turns the cabin into another type of enclosure. With the windows up, your cabin acts like a sealed enclosure. When you roll down the windows you just turned your cabin from a sealed enclosure into a ported one
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
Qveon 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
HAHA I was wondering about this, because it is like this with my Kicker Solobaric in my Honda Prelude. So what happens if i put my solobaric in a ported box and roll the windows down?
wvsquirrel 
Posted: March 03, 2003 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Depends on the subs. Rolling the windows down just amplifies the current soundwave. Some subs perform better in sealed rather than ported enclosures. Rolling the windows down will usually intensify the bass, but if the subs perform better in a sealed enclosure then the sound you get from a tuned ported enclosure and the car windows down might not be what you want. I've heard the bass get pretty flat and have no thump with the wrong type of enclosure. In this case, the sound still gets amplified with the windows down, but it makes it sound worse. If you've got the materials handy, try it and let us know
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
WhiteRanger 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
My set up does the same thing, with 2 IDQ10s in a sealed box in my 98 ranger, id guess a 30-45% improvement with the windows down.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: March 04, 2003 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
It's amazing how much really goes into a good automotive stereo. Alot of people realize the importance of an ampatheatre where concerts are held, but never think to apply that same principle to car stereos. They both have speakers/subs in different types of enclosures and amplifiers, but it's the surrounding area that helps to create/modify the overall effect. Having the right enclosure and amp will help to ensure you the best initial output from the sub, but modifying the surrounding external area will help increase that potential! Thats the same reason why having an identical system in 2 different types of vehicles will produce two different results... ie hatchbacks vs. trunks, cars vs. trucks, and trucks vs. SUV's.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic