icon

cap questions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigchuck 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2003 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

I'm new to the site, I really enjoy the great info you guys provide. This might be a stupid question but I couldn't find an answer to it when and I did a search. What happens when you don't charge a cap before installing it? Before I really knew what I was doing I invested in a Poweramper 3 farad capacitor, and just hooked it up to my old car, with out charging it or anything. I'm not really sure if it did much as I still had the whole dimming problem, was the lack of charging it the prob? or would it just eventually charge after some time? My subs where using around 800 watts rms, would the 3 farads smooth out such a load?

The other thing I would like to know is what's your opinion on the Poweramper cap itself (I think they call it power bank but it's the same thing), www.poweramper.com,  it's a lot smaller then most other caps on the market, and I think it works with some differant technology. Is it a real deal or did I just waste my money and not bother installing it in my new car?

audiovector 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2003 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  

check out the section of charging on this page.

http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/theory/capacitorcharging.htm

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2003 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
you would be better off to not waste money on a cap in the first place...that money would be better spent in an alternator upgrade...
the cap is designed really for an ultra SQ scenario, and then just to regulate the voltage so there are no spikes or dips...when you are talking about using a cap in a scenario where you have dimming lights, you are wasting your money, because the cap is just going to help you kill your alternator that much faster...
a cap stores energy for your stereo to utilise when the current drops...so after the current is dropped, and the cap is drained, now your alternator has to work overtime to do its job...the alternator provides power to your car...and your stereo...and charges your battery if it happens to get low as well...so it is already somewhat taxed...now you go and throw your cap in that mix, and it is just an extra load on your alternator once it discharges (which doesnt take much time at all if you are pounding your subs) which will burn out your alternator prematurely...
and as far as cap quality, a cap is a cap is a cap...its pretty much all cosmetics and marketing...all caps are designed the same and they pretty much all work the same...if you are happy with the looks of your cap, be happy with it...but be happy with it as an expensive paper weight in your office or bedroom, dont bother putting it into your car...
themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2003 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

I see where your coming from on that but I would like to add that they do have some function. On my 2001 Saturn I had 1 4 channel amp and when I added a 200watt sub amp my gas milleage droped in half and tons of other things happened. I added another cap to the system and all my problems went away. Just thought I would share that!

donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2003 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
I am running into the same dilema with my car. I have a 900 watt amp RMS and a 4 channel 600 watt amp RMS. I also have a stock 105 amp alternator. I have talked to about 5 different stereo shops and they all suggested I get a secondary battery and use an isolator. Thay way your system will run off the second battery and not cut into your cars other electrical functions. But if you have a smaller alternator than 105 amps I would suggest an upgradeded alt. as well as a battery. I had a 1989 camaro w/ a 180 amp alt. with just a big and new interstate primary battery pusing 2 inefficient kenwood 600 watt amps and my cars lights still dimmed just not as much. Good luck
Cbr629 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
So the caps don't do any good?
donkason 
Copper - Posts: 189
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
caps are only good for short bursts of power. They are best used in a s.q. setup. The battery provides a consistant source of power. It is like drinking out of a dixie cup or a gallon jug. The only downfall is the battery takes more juice to charge.
Cbr629 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2003 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
So how can you get two batteries in a car so one can power the system?
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  

Never add batteries for a system unless you want to be able to run it for a little while from ACC on. If you can't supply the current, go to a new alternator. A new battery will make things worse. And 1989 Camaros rule! heheh. Yeah, so I have one too ;)

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic