icon

auxiliary lighting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dm6156 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking for some "design" help in wiring up some auxiliary lighting (2 sets) on my 2002 dodge Dakota.
For the 1st set (2 lights @ 100w - off road lights) facing forward.
For the 2nd set (2 lights @ 55w - long range) facing backward.
I want each set of lights to have it's own switch and relay and to be powered independently.   What I am thinking is that I want to buy a 3 or 4 position relay box (I want it to be fully covered) and use SPDT 30a relays. In the future I may add a 3rd set of lights that is why i want a 3 or 4 position relay box. Each relay should have it's own fuse.
Does anyone know where i can pick up a combo relay and fuse box? My 2nd preference would be to pick up a fuse box and a relay box. I don't want to use individual sockets for each relay nor a 2 position socket. I want a nice, neat, clean install under the hood. Is this combo fuse/relay box something I may be able to get from a dealer?
As far as the fuse box goes, do they wire directly to the battery and then have smaller/individual wires inside for each fuse (I assume so just like vehicles have from the factory? Has anyone ever wired a relay and fuse box together?
Is there anyway to have 0 power draw when the lights are turned completely off? Sometimes I spend all day away from my truck and want to minimize a battery failure as some of the places I visit are up to 45 minutes from the nearest road (secondary road). I spend a lot of time hiking and fishing in some remote mountain regions. I am thinking about switches that are not illuminated. Anything else I should be aware of?
I'm thinking a basic design times 2 - battery to fuse to relay to switch to lights (I know ground each light separately). I found a perfect spot under my bumper for some square lights so grounding will be easy.
any comments or suggestions is appreciated.
- Dan M

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
auxiliary lighting - Last Post -- posted image.
dm6156 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2008 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. That is the basic Idea of what I had in mind. Except I'd like to have a "professional" looking install and have the fuses/relays in a covered box.
I'll continue my internet searches.
- Dan M
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,674
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Wow, I didn't realize that a wiring diagram would actually affect the appearance of the actual install.
leprechaun1874 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2008 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
The "professional" install part is up to you dm.  The wiring diagram just shows how to do it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic