01 grand am remote starter and bypasskit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hip-hoppy45 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2008 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all from the new guy

I'm trying to install a prostart remote starter in my 01 Grand Am I'm also using a gmbp bypasskit ,problem is when I start it with remote it just turns over constantly till I press the button again, or it will start and run for about 1-3 seconds and shut off.  All programing seems to be fine as I get all the proper flashes in the sequences that they should.  With  a key in the ignition turned to acc/on the remote start works fine. But I think thats kinda dumb.  I've run out of ideas here and don't know what to try next. I'd appreciate any suggestions from one of you smarter people as to what I may not be doing or have done wrong.  The long cold northern Canadian winter will be here soon and the wife and I would really like to have this working as we both suffer with arthritis.  A nice big color coded diagram of  the car, remote starter and bypasskit wiring with all the a b c's at this point is probably about the most I could comprehend.

Anyway thankyou all that may be able to help us before the big freeze01 grand am remote starter and bypasskit - Last Post -- posted image.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 19, 2008 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
did the GMBP program correctly?  did you move the jumper from program mode to operation mode as per the install guide?
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
sterling_silver 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2008 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  

hi!

just my experienced and wanna share it. I also have installed a remote start DEI to my vehicle Galant 04. After finishing i've tried to start the car using the remote, it did but also shut off after 1-3 seconds. What i did was I changed the programming of my alarm brain using the valet LED button. I changed the default ENGINE CHECKING TACH to ENGINE CHECKING VOLTAGE since i ddn't connect my tach wire and hard to reach the ignition coil in the engine compartment. Afte that i've tried to remote start again the vehicle, but shut off again after 1-3 seconds. I tried to start the vehicle first using my key for a few minutes and then shut it off guessing that it might be the cranked time wasn't enough (Default setting is 0.6 seconds). THen, i tried to remote start the vehicle and it did, so the next thing that i did was adjust the crank time to 1.2 seconds, finally it start using the remote start.

Hope this helps anyone!

Thank you!

Sterling_Silver  

1 Work Done = Eat
2 Work Done = 1 Sleep
Never Eat, Never Sleep
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2008 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
hip-hoppy45 wrote:

Hi all from the new guy

problem is when I start it with remote it just turns over constantly till I press the button again, or it will start and run for about 1-3 seconds and shut off.  All programing seems to be fine as I get all the proper flashes in the sequences that they should.  With  a key in the ignition turned to acc/on the remote start works fine.

Most likely the problem is either your bypass isn't programmed/wired correctly, or you're missing a required ignition wire. On that car you should be connecting 2 ignition and 2 accessory wires, and you shouldn't power an accessory as an ignition or vice versa.
The pink and the green wires need to stay hot during crank, the brown and orange ones need to drop voltage during crank.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
hip-hoppy45 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Chris at least something to check out, my mechanic buddy and I have been at this for several hours on several weekends.

Thank you again!

Hoppy

hip-hoppy45 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2008 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

Kevin yes I believe we did all this, but something to double check in any case.

Thanks

ccajay 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2008 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
I usually dont use the brown second accessory wire but you MUST have both ignition wires connected and like the other guy said your acc wire needs to see 12 volts before and after crank but not during
Thank you
Jayson Cook
Columbus Car Audio & Accessories
saskpuller 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2008 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
The second ignition wire on that car is green and I have only found it at the ignition barrel. Kind of a pain to get at. I usually take the radio out and grab the wires from there. If you have all those wires hooked up right, I would assume the GMBP is not being programmed correctly. IIRC put the jumper horizontal on the bottom and start the car. Shut car off and move jumper back vertical on left. That is totally from memory so I could be wrong. You can get a install guide for the kit at www.bypasskit.com . If still having issues, tell us what wires you have hooked to what. Can the starter do a takeover? Start the car with the key and then push the r/s button. Shut off car. If car still runs, you have a bypass issue. If not, probably a tach thing.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic