2002 ford explorer remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
amatoo04 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all,
I am installing a Python 1400xp Keyless/Remote start system in a 2002 explorer XLT. The truck previously had the ford factory remote start installed (made by code alarm). I yanked out the old remote start system and started from scratch to install this unit.
The reason for the replacement was the factory security/remote start system did not physically start the vehicle. It would put the ignition on, but not crank the starter. At first i thought it was the bypass so i put the key in the ignition (didnt turn it, just put it in) and tried remote starting the vehicle, but i was still having the same problem.
My new python remote start is having this same problem and i have no clue why. No door pins/ hood pins are connected, car starts fine with the key so there is nothing wrong there. Its just this stupid car doesnt want to turn over.
Also my other problem is the outside keypad no longer works. I disconnected all the wires from the factory alarm so i am not sure if i took something out or not.
But i was wondering if either was a common issue, and if there is any suggestion you guys might have for me. Thanks
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like you might be missing an ignition or accessory. an easy way to tell is to start the car with the key and make a note of the lights that come on on the instrument panel in each key position, then try to remote start it and check to make sure all of those same lights come on and in roughly the same order. if not then you are missing a wire at the ignition harness. another thing might be lack of power, those fords have multiple 12v constant wires at the ignition harness each rated for 20 amps or so and if you only have one of those wires tapped you might want to try to tap another just to make sure
amatoo04 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2008 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i figured out the starter problem!
It was the previous installer who messed up the starter vs. key side of the starter wires.
Anyways. My new concern is the keypad on the outside of the car, is there any common issue with this.
amatoo04 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2008 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
So i installed a viper 1400xp in a 2002 ford explorer xlt. I took out the dealer installed code alarm remote start and replaced it with the python.
The outside keypad was working even when i unplugged the brain of the code alarm. But as soon as i unplugged the battery and took out the harness to the code alarm r/s it stopped working.
the code was never changed from the factory and i have already verified it on the CSM module. The keypad illuminates and also if i press the 7/8 & 9/0 buttons together the doors lock which means the comm wire is still working and wasn't cut.
Is there any settings or procedures that i need to do to get the keypad back working again? Im not sure if pulling the battery from the car caused this or taking out the old code alarm remote start.
Thanks
durham2008 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2008 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

I am having a issue..

I had been using my Viper remote starter. All of a sudden one day I go to use my key and it won't start. So, I use the starter and it works. So. we just stopped using the remote starter for the moment as we kept having that issue.

Well since it has gotten a tad cold outside we have went back to using it and it did great until 2 days the truck wouldn't start by the key and then not even by the remote starter. It eventually did start with the remote starter.

This morning went to start the vehicle and nothing. Neither the key nor the remote starter will start it. Is this sounding like an issue with the remote starter or just needing to now replace the actual starter itself?

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2008 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
durham2008 wrote:

I am having a issue..

I had been using my Viper remote starter. All of a sudden one day I go to use my key and it won't start. So, I use the starter and it works. So. we just stopped using the remote starter for the moment as we kept having that issue.

Well since it has gotten a tad cold outside we have went back to using it and it did great until 2 days the truck wouldn't start by the key and then not even by the remote starter. It eventually did start with the remote starter.

This morning went to start the vehicle and nothing. Neither the key nor the remote starter will start it. Is this sounding like an issue with the remote starter or just needing to now replace the actual starter itself?

Check the starter solonoid first.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic