icon

2001 OEM Toyota unit into 1993 Toyota ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Viking427 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all...I'm wanting to swap a 2001 Toyota Camry radio into my 1993 Toyota Landcruiser but I'm not sure how to match up the new style (2000+) head units molex plug (20 pin) to my old oem external amp (15pin) for "plug and play" simplicity. I understand Scosche and Metra make plug-in head unit and amp adapter harnesses for this, but I'm not exactly sure whats required (Scosche TA03, Metra 70-1761 ?)  Heres a link with pics for reference;

Old style "P500" 15-pin Molex: www.carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Toyota4.htm

New style "CN701" 20-pin Molex: www.carstereohelp.net/wireharness_Toyota5.htm

Additionally, can anyone confirm my suspicion that the secondary "CN702" 12-pin plug on the new unit is not used at all when an external amp is employed ?

Thanks very much...  

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

Did the camry have the 6 speaker system with the tweeters?  Or was it just a 4-speaker system?  And what kind of system was in the landcruiser?

I would think that actually that CN702 plug might possibly be used to send a signal to an LOC, rather than use high-level speaker outputs.  Still thinking about that part though...

Viking427 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

I believe it had the 6 speaker option. The head unit is Toyota's optional am/fm/cass/6-CD indash 2DIN unit (made by JBL for Toyota) thats been available for the last couple years. They,ve been offering the same unit in the Camry, Tundra, 4-runner, Landcruiser etc, so I pretty sure its the same unit across the board...

Viking427 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

...sorry, forgot the second part of the question. My 1993 LC had the oem am/fm/cass/CD with 9 speakers and 2 external amps (one behind glovebox for the drivers and one in rear for the sub). thx

Viking427 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

TTT...

Anyone know if theres a better forum to answer this question (one with pro stereo installers or ?) - thx

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

First off, the connector labeled P750 on the 4th toyota page is basically the same as the connector labeled CN702 on the 5th toyota page.  I'm sure you probably already noticed that but just wanted to point that out.

Okay now for the landcruiser, you have just that one 15-pin plug coming out of the vehicle's wiring?  Or is there another plug as well?  If it's just one then the harness looks like the Best Kits BHA8110, right?

Another thing I should note:  USUALLY when you have those camry's with the tweeters, the wiring behind the radio is wierd.  For example, if you were trying to put an aftermarket deck in to the camry,  you'd begin by unpluggin the factory radio and removing that.  The two new plugs that were in the back of the factory radio are not the ones you use though.  You have to first unplug two connectors that are plugged in to the vehicle's wiring, just behind the radio.  Once you unplug these, the male connectors that remain stationary will just hook up to the standard toyota aftermarket harness (70-1761)and plug it in to the vehicle's wiring right where you had to unplug those connectors. 

Just FYI, if you tried to use a harness like the TA03 to hook up an aftermarket radio, rather than using the method described above, USUALLY you will end up getting a whole bunch of engine noise and weird sounds and stuff.  That TA03 harness with the RCA plugs is only for Avalons, not the camrys--at least as far as I know that's the case.

I have yet to see a reverse harness for these camry radios with the 6speaker system.  It'd be a female-ended plug that would match up to the CN701 connector on the 5th toyota page.  If you had access to the camry you could always clip the plugs off the factory wiring but most people don't like to do this as it kinda messes up the factory wiring2001 OEM Toyota unit into 1993 Toyota ? - Last Post -- posted image..

Bottom Line:  Without a plug that can go into the back of your 01 camry's radio, there's no way to put the radio into a different vehicle.  Unless you solder a separate wire to each of the radio's pins, which I highly recommend against even attempting.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
Do you still have access to the 2001 Camry from where the radio came? If so, go back and get the amp out of it.
I have a '98 Tacoma as my company truck, and I've installed the full system from a '99 Camry into it, including the amplifier.
If you remove the piece of black plastic from under the passenger dash, and then remove the glove box, you can see the amplifier back there. It's large, shiny silver, and held in place with I think three 10mm nuts.
The wiring that plugs into the factory amp is in its own standalone harness---it's not hard to remove from the car. Just keep following along the harness, starting at the amplifier. You'll find that here and there, it's clipped onto the car's body in some way or another; just unfasten the clip and keep going.
When you make your way up to the dash cavity where the radio goes, the amp harness splits and goes two separate ways: one side has a plug that goes into the radio, and the other side is two standard, regular-style (like a 70-1761) Toyota radio plugs, which are connected to other plugs that run off into the car---simply disconnect these and remove the entire harness from the car.
At this point, you should have custody of three items:
1. 6-disc Toyota radio with unusual plug.
2. Large silver factory amplifier.
3. Three-foot harness that mates the radio and amplifier together, and has two regular-style female Toyota radio plugs at the other end.
Once you bring those three items together, you essentially have a complete, working audio system, that will plug right into most any '88-up Toyota. In my Tacoma, I could just barely fit the amplifier inside the passenger's kick panel, and the wiring harness was just barely long enough to reach to the dash.
I would recommend that you set yours up in this fashion, and then go about trying to fit it to your car---you'd want to somehow bypass the Land Cruiser amplifiers in this case. I'm not familiar with the Land Cruiser, but there's gotta be some way.
(Also, you may realize that the now-gutted 2001 Camry has just been turned into an "ordinary" Toyota. The leftover plugs behind the dash could be mated to a regular, non-amped Toyota radio, or you could use a 70-1761 adapter to install an aftermarket one. This is how most pros put an aftermarket radio in that car---reach behind the radio, undo the amp plugs, bring the male ones forward, and use a 70-1761---the factory amp is now bypassed.)
You might try hunting around your Land Cruiser and see if you can find a 70-1761-style plug hiding in there. If so, you might be able to bypass your Land Cruiser amplifiers, simply by plugging the 2001 Camry harness right in.
Viking427 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2003 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  

Guys..thanks for the info;

ES, yes I did notice the 15 pin plug is the same on old and new. I believe the 20 pin molex plug is the one I need since it appears to be the one that feeds the amp. Yup, looks like I need that new style $#@! 20pin molex plug.

Chris, unfortunately I never saw the donar Camry, just know thats the car the radio came from, but your right on that seperate amp harness.

I went to Toyota parts dept today and had them pull up schematics on the radio in question. Sho'nuf, theres a seperate modular amp harness with several plugs on it ($145), but theres also a  "Theft kit" ($40) thats comprised of just the 20-pin radio plug with 6" lead wires (yeah, I know...$40 fer just the plug "ohh how I love Toyota ! ). Apparently this is specifically made to replace radios that have been "cut" out. I'll just need to splice this into my existing amp harness.

Thanks all for the expert assistance ! 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic