icon

Which amp for subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2003 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hi there i have 2 JL audio 12 w6s, my question its they say that the continous power handling is 300watts know is that what each sub should get or can they get more. like would i choose a JBL power 600x1 or the 1200x1. thanks alot
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2003 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
You can give them more power but if you go with the JBL 1200.1 it will give each sub 600 watts witch is double their power handling. I would not suggest that you give them that much power if it was 100 watts or so I would say go for it. Go with the JBL 600.1 It's a good strong amp that puts out some clean power and will do a nice Job off pushing those subs. More power dose not always mean more bass/ volume. That much power could do more harm than good.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
the jl 12w6s are quite underrated, and if you were reasonable with listening to them and had the gains set at zero you wouldnt have a problem with the 1200.1...
however, if you are a gain nut and crank everything, you could blow them up with that 1200.1...the nice thing about the 1200.1 is it allows room to grow in the future...if you decide to buy newer subs that require more power, you already have it...and it is quite nice that it puts out the same power at 2 or 1 ohm, makes it quite versatile...
I would honestly go with the 1200.1, but if you arent really thinking you will need an upgrade for a long long time, a 600.1 would be more than adequate...again, another versatile amp that does max power at 2 or 1 ohm...
like I said, if it were me, I would buy the 1200.1, but I am a nut that way, and you may not be...
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2003 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
     I'm with BigPurds on this one. I think that it's always good to have more power than you need. You can always lower your gain, but you can't always turn it up. I had the same thing happen to me with my first system.
      I had 2 MTX 6000 series 10s and was just going to buy a RF 500x to power them. I chose instead to get bd1000, and that was a good thing because I ended up going with some much larger subs about 8 months later and, low and behold, I had the power on tap to handle them.
    I'm a big fan of upgradability because I change my components so damn much, but BigPurds is right that you would probably be quite happy with the 600.1. My 2 cents.
CTW
greenbroncoguy 
Copper - Posts: 299
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2003 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
i would also go with the bigger amp. just when your setting your speakers up for the first time turn the gain down on your amp and progressivley turn it up as you listen to the subs and when they start to distort, then just turn the gain down a little and you should be ready to go!
eeh1025 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2003 at 5:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys thanks for all your help i went with the jbl 600 for the 2 jl 12w6s and i also bought 2 13 W7s and the jbl 1200. i have 2 cars so i will set each system up in each car and see which one sounds better. for the 2 jl 12w6s should i keep the gain all the way up or start low and go up. thanks guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic