icon

Fiberglass Mat how much?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Aguita94 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Guys, I would like to compare something..
4th Gen Camaro owners specifically ALL OTHERS ALSO WELCOME.
How many yards did you use when making your driver side stealthbox?
How many yards did you use when making the box that goes in the middle of the trunk?
Reason for questions is because I might be doing some other things to the car and I would like to compare... in order to correct.
Also, what is the most appropriate mat to use??
I hear Kynetics others chop mat?? Can you give me reasons why IF POSSIBLE??
What is the best way to incorporate mdf to fiberglass?
Meaning... fiberglass enclosure and MDF baffle board???
What kind of screws to use and should a MDF baffle backbrace (Sort of stop for the baffle) be needed??
Thanks...
Thanks again
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
the amount of mat depends on your thickness the thiner it is the more layers you need to apply. the thinner the mat the less expensive it is. the thicker the mat the more resin it soaks up, but it is more difficult to wet out( get the resin to soak all the way through) and it is harder to get it to contour to sharper angles.
the thickness of the mat depends on the project and your own personal tastes. i prefer to use a thicker mat when at all possible. a 3 oz mat works great and doesn't need as many layers to get the desired thickness(best used as foundations for amp racks and enclosures). there are other times that thinner mat works better. in those cases i use a 1.5 oz or 3/4 oz mat. those cases are a vertical surface or even upside down. the reason the thinner mat workes better is there is less weight so it sticks better and doesn't tend to fall as easy.
the best way to get the 2 to together it to use a mold fabric of some sort. whethere it's fleece, polyester trunk liner, grill choth, whatever.this will give you a good starting surface to attach the 2.
in your case,what i would do is glass the foundation of the floor and walls that you want the box to fit in. then make a ring for the sub(s). after that, mount the rings to the base. i use a 2 x 4 to mount them because it is really sturdy. which means no warping or having the ring twist out of shape. then stretch your fabric over the ring to the foundation.glass it and fill it from the inside with some milk shake.
Aguita94 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2003 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thnx
Gret HELP...Fiberglass Mat how much? - Last Post -- posted image.
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
no problem
Aguita94 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2003 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Audio,
How long would it take me in a sense of time..to build that stealth box??
Also, how many gallons should I get for the task using your above recommended mat?
I would like to know because that way I only make 1 trip to the marine shop instead of 2+... I am not looking for specifics - just guestimate.
Thanks..
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2003 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
i would say...depending on the size of the stealth box, and if you have a decent idea of how you want to do it and have some experience with glass you can get most of it done in one full day maybe 2 if you are kinda lazy like i am when i do stuff for myself. as far as the mat goes you can get 1 1/2 yards of 3 oz mat. and 2 gallons of resinthat should get you through and have a little room for a mistake or 2.
you will also need some polyester trunkliner or fleece for the fron portion of the stealth box.
hope that gives you a good idea of what you need.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic