icon

Fiberglass finishing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SteveEastpoint 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  

I'm about to fiberglass some things in my car and I was wondering what to do to get it ready to get it painted by a professional paint shop. I usually go as far as bondo to finish, then cover with some type of cloth, but this time, I want it painted, so what else should I do, or can the paint shop take it from there? The only thing they really told me was to give them a nice smooth surface and they can paint it.

stereo_guru20 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
 to save your self money on labor from the paintshop, sand as much as possible. You really have to sand it as much as possible. If you see ANY dimples or scratches, sand them out. This may take HOURS. If you want to know if ou think its smooth enough, feel your window on your car, compare that to your work.
Joe
Sound Lab Audio
Owner
MECP First Class
R983 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
Sanding the fiberglass as smooth as possable is a good start, usuially you can only get it so smooth though. After that put on a thin thin coat of bondo and then sand that. bondo sands a little easier than fiberglass and you can literally get it to sand as smooth as glass or ice or.. whatever. if its not perfect before painting ever little depression, or hole will be seen. even if covering with vynl you can see slight dips and depressions.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2003 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
the use of polyester primer(i.e. feather fill, slick sand, poly primer) is a big time saver. you can sand the piece with 36 grit, then shoot it with polyester primer and it will even its self out quite well and get rid of the sanding marks. it also sands way easier than bodyfiller. once you sand it to a 120 or 220 grit, shoot a thin coat of poly primer or sealer primer over it and sand that to a 400 or 600 grit and your all ready to paint.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic