icon

Help with a remote start for 2002 Jeep GC

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
keithf 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, this is my first post! This site is full of great info and helpful people. I have no experience and hope can help me with some advise to see I don't get ripped off. I searched and could not find this vehicle in the list.

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (not the fancy Limited) which I want to have a remote start installed into by a shop. I called a shop (Circuit city in the Houston area) and asked them if they had a system to add remote start to my factory keyless entry and factory security alarm.

They said no, and offered me 2 systems: 

$300 for an installed system, using a DEI 552T and some modules and relays they said they need to bypass the key and rewire the door locks. This only has a 1year warranty, and has no panic features. To have a panic button I would need to also carry my factory remote. FYI the panic is for my wife and kid, who use the car.

$470 for an installed system, using an Audiovox Prestige 875C and the same modules and relays as the cheaper system. This has a lifetime warranty, and includes a replacement alarm with panic button.

Questions: Is the above true that I have to replace my factory stuff? Is there no add-on module I could have fitted?

Is the $300 system ok, or a piece of junk? I like saving $170 if I have to carry an extra remote for panic button, but am worried about the 1year warranty.

What about my Jeep warranty? Should I rather have my Jeep dealer install a system?

Any other advise appreciated! Thank You! Keith.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2003 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't try adding a system onto the factory remote. Get a new system that controls the factory one too. Installer has to connect to one wire in the vehicle that will do lock, unlock, arm, disarm of factory system....and panic I think too. Your vehicle works off a databus system where a lot of vehicle functions are sent through one wire in the form of data instead of the traditional positive and negative signals.
My shop would charge $200 for a comparable remote starter with a lifetime warranty. Your vehicle would then need the door lock module for $50 and then another $50 bypass if your car has a grey key. Either $250 or $300.
CCRoadshop 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  

I work at circuit.......The DEI part number DEI 455J will tie into your factory remote...which means the remote is pointless....................................If u have a grey key then u need the DEI 555U to bypass the immobilizer......

DEI RATTLER359D =99.00

Installation is 100.00

455J = 50.00

555U = 50.00

bang thats it

Installer - Circuit City Roadshop(2 1/2 years n counting)
------------------
Alpine CDA7894(soon to be the cda9815)
Pioneer XM unit(soon to be direct link alpine)
Audiovox 995C alarm/remote start
toadia 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  

The 5529 will work fine. Just have them hook up the horn honk and it will let you do a panic on the factory horn.

toadia 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

sorry the 552p

toadia 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
also the 552p does come with a lifetime warranty on the brain but the remotes only come with 1 year
keithf 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, you guys rock! Thanks for the great info. Help with a remote start for 2002 Jeep GC - Last Post -- posted image.

I'm hearing that the 552T brain is good, has a lifetime warranty, and $300 is an ok price for it, a door unlock module and a 555U bypass module (I have the grey key) installed.

Toadie, is the 552P a different model to the 552T? Or was that another typo?

Thanks again! Keith.

CCRoadshop 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2003 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
should be 552t
Installer - Circuit City Roadshop(2 1/2 years n counting)
------------------
Alpine CDA7894(soon to be the cda9815)
Pioneer XM unit(soon to be direct link alpine)
Audiovox 995C alarm/remote start
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
You might need to buy up to three separate pieces, depending on how you want to do it:
There are remote starters that run off the factory keyless, but the range of the keyless is pretty limited. If your keyless works from inside your house, you might consider doing this....but then what about when you're at work? Surely you must park a little far away from your work.
1. Does your car have a gray or black key? If the key is gray, it has a transponder in it. To get around this, the installer can bury one of your spare keys inside a DEI 555U. Or you can buy the 555C, which is a Chrysler-specific piece----it will cost a little more than the U, but you won't lose any of your keys.
2. Do you mind carrying two remotes around, or would you rather just one? Your factory keyless entry will work even with the motor running...so you could carry a remote starter remote to start the car, and use your factory keyless to get in. Or, if you buy the 455J, the installer can make the remote starter's remote control your locks...so you can leave the Jeep remote at home. (The installer won't be able to add the Panic feature to the new remote, though.)
The 455J is a little expensive, and the reason it's needed is because the Jeep's databus system controls the doorlocks. The 455J takes the 12-volt lock and unlock outputs that the remote starter has, and turns them into data signals that the Jeep's databus can understand.
3. As far as remote start goes, the 552T is reliable. The 551R is usually $20 cheaper, but it comes with only one remote instead of two....and remotes are $50 each separately. So even if you don't need the other extra features the 552T offers, buy it anyway, just to get the second remote.
keithf 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2003 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks CC and Chris! Wow! More info and I'm now fully informed. Help with a remote start for 2002 Jeep GC - Last Post -- posted image.

Thanks again! Keith.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic