icon

Fiberglass interiors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Osiris2247 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2003 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 91 integra and wanted a smooth finish on the dash and was wondering the best way to do that.  I was wondering if laminating it in fiberglass would work and if so how would i go about doing it.  Thanks for any help.

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2003 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
most dashes are soft plastic or vinyl covered. if you lay glass on them it will mort than likely peel off or not hold the way you intend to. there are products available to stick to plastic that you can use to smooth it out. if it is all plastic( which it prolly isnt) you can just sand the texture out and poly prime it. if not you will have to smooth it with a filler and then sand and spray it
r4ng3r95 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
Take it out. and use it as a mold and glass ur own dash.
Frito 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2003 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

r4ng3r95 wrote:
Take it out. and use it as a mold and glass ur own dash.

can you explain exactly how to go about this process? You make it sound so easy. thanks!

PS: i know one guy who took out dash ans peeled of all the vinyl and layed fiberglass over it. added some in dash screens and guage pods. a re-routed ac vents. looks tight. its painted silver.

T & A customs 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2003 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
i have a 97 sunfire and I did my whole interiror.  For my dash, I took off the vinyl, then I took out the air bag, wich I mad a fiberglass mold of the cover, then fused it on the dash, then smothed it over with a bit of bondo, did the same with the vents, midle two vents are gauge pods now. once I got all the work done, I sprayed some "slick sand" on top of it, than sanded it smooth and sprayed it.  The slick sand if a high build primer.  And it is from NASON if anyone is wondering.  The dash came out flawless and have no problems with bubbling cracks or anything else. hope this information helps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic