icon

Replacement radio installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fogstratus 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  

Just a little of my background - I learned electronics forty years ago in the US Navy, and I have installed many car radios, re-built TVs, wired systems, built computers, and on-and-on! However, I have hit a brick wall with this problem. Maybe it is because of the newer radios or it is something so simple I am missing the solution or the mind is finally losing it! Anyway, I am seeking help to install a replacement radio in an RV.

The radio in the RV is in excellent condition, but it has two "problems." First, it has a cassette tape player instead of a CD player. We have an adapter that allows us to plugin CD player, but that gets cumbersome. Secondly, our RV is a 1992 model, and it has the radio placed to the left of the driver, which means my Wife cannot operate it (Wait a minute, why is that bad?! Just kidding!). So, along with a radio with a CD player, we want one that has a remote control. Now the problem.

As I mentioned, the radio (a Magnadyne ???) in the RV works perfectly. I disconnected the radio, and installed the new one (Pioneer DEH-P25), connecting up the power wires, and the front speaker wires (rear speakers are problematic at this time). The Pioneer doesn’t work at all. I do not think it is a malfunctioning radio, because I had the same problem with a Jensen radio, which I returned thinking there was something wrong with the radio. It would sure be a coincidence if two new radios were bad. I reinstalled the Magnadyne three separate times after the other installs, and it worked every time.

Aside from keeping the Magnadyne, any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong or what may be wrong with the installs? Switching the ignition on doesn’t make any difference.

Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
There should be no problem. Newer radios usually have two power leads, one for MAIN (Switched with ACCY. or IGNITION) and one for MEMORY (constant B+ Source). Some, though rare, have a third switched or constant for the Loudness option. Some radios may not work unless both the Memory and Main are connected. If you just have the MAIN connected, then it may not power on without the Constant connected.
Does the Head unit power on at all, with just no sound? Or you get absolutely NOTHING. . .
Now, is your RV a FORD? If so, FORD uses a POSITIVE GROUND system, not Negative. This means the PLUS side of the battery goes to the car's Chassis, now a source, not a ground. The BLACK lead would not go the the chassis anymore, the MEMORY or constant wire would. The MAIN switched would come from a switched source. The ground will still hook to the NEGATIVE side of the battery, just not through the Chassis like EVERY other car in the country. . .
It's hard to say, if all is connected ok, it should work okay. As long as you have power and ground, there should be no problem. UNLESS, all your speakers are using a COMMON NEGATIVE wire, that could pose a problem to the new Head Unit. Look at your RV radio, does it have a COMMON for the speakers (Usually id there is no FADE option), or does each speaker have TWO leads, a + and - side. If this is the case, your OE radio could also be on that common.
If you have FOUR speakers in your RV, you would have eight speaker leads on your Stock radio, four for a front set, and four for a rear set.
I am just going over ALL the possible scenerios for you. I could be missing a few myself, but these are the most common.   Maybe see if there is a harness adapter somewhere. . .
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2003 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Another thing I would add is check your voltage on all your wire especially the Switched with ACCY. or IGNITION and see if you are getting a 12v reading. I've done an old RV once where I was getting 6v to 8V on the switch, so the head unit didn't turn on for me.     
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Replacement radio installation - Last Post -- posted image.
fogstratus 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks to "Powerslave0" and "The pencil" for replying. My response to each of you.

There is no indication of any power at all to the head unit, i.e., ABSOLUTELY nothing. The RV is a 1992 Tiffin Allegro, and it has negative ground. I have checked the 12 volt + lead and it shows the expected 12 v + reading. The "old" radio does have common leads to the Left Front Neg and Left Right Pos, and the Right Front Neg and Right Rear Pos. The Pioneer I purchased specifically stated the speakers need to have separate wires. My intent was to re-wire the rear speakers when I got the radio operating.

From your input, I am beginning to suspect that I may have been extremely unlucky, and have two radios that are damaged. I will wait for further input, but I am inclined to try one more time with another radio.

Please give me any further ideas you two or anyone else may have to figure this out.

To Powerslave0-I just re-read your reply, specifically the paragraph of the speakers. Maybe a problem lies there. Here are the wire connections for the OE radio: Red: + 12v IGN Switched Input; Black;: Chassis Gnd: Pink: +12v  Battery ofr Memory;: Yellow: +12v Output for Pwr Ant; Brown: LF+; Gray: RF+; Orange: LF- & LR+; White: RF- & RR+; Green: LR-; Blue: RR-. The Pioneer: Yellow: Battery/Memory; Red: 12v IGN Switch; Black: Gnd; White LF+; WHITE/ Black: LF-; Green: LR+; GREEN/ Black: LR-; Gray: RF+; Gray/Black: RF-; Violet: RR+; Violet/Black: RR-. As I noted, I only connected the front speakers, the Yellow, Red, and Black wires, and NOTHING happened.

Thanks,

Steve

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2003 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

You said you tested the 12 volt lead and found it showed the correct reading...were you talking about the constant wire or the switched wire?

What I would recommend doing is hooking both the pioneer's red and yellow wires to the yellow (constant) wire of the old wiring, and hooking up the pioneer's black ground wire to the pink ground wire of the vehicle.  If you know your +12 volts constant wire is good, and the radio does not now turn on (and remember you have to press SOURCE after making the connections, to make the radio turn on), then there's something wrong with either your ground connection or the pioneer itself.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
fogstratus 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2003 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks "esmith69." I'll try that as soon as I get the RV back. It is in the garage being inspected right now. PA has annual inspections, and it is due now. I mention this to indicate it will be several days before I can attempt this suggestion. I will post another reply, either way.

Thanks again,

Steve

fogstratus 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

To esmith69 (and anyone else with input),

I have my RV back. The 12v reading I was getting was from the switched wire. Suspicously, there was no voltage on the constant (memory) wire. I thought that might be a/the problem, but I ignored it at the time. Anyway, I didn't re-read your e-mail prior to connecting up the radio a short time ago, and I THOUGHT I remembered you saying to connect the two power wires up to the switched wire. The radio worked WITHOUT the ignition being on (the "old" radio would turn on without the igition being on, which surprized me)! I decided to re-read your e-mail, and discovered you suggested doing it the other way!

So, I am now going to check out the wiring more carefully, to see how/why the RV side of the wiring was done. Evidently the constant voltage wire is not wire to the battery or (as I will check when I finish this) the two wires are reversered for some reason - the supposedly switched (which is NOT) wire does have the fuse in-line.

Another question - as I noted above, the wiring for the ORIGINAL rear speakers is dual-wired (although split at the speakers). Should I re-wire the rear speakers to the front so that I use the radio separate pos and neg wires from the radio to the speakers?

Thanks for any input.

Steve

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure if I understand your last question exactly (the one about the speaker wiring).

What do you mean the "wiring is dual wired"?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
MielGibson 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2003 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
For what I see, the left front and the left rear speakers are connected in series.The same goes for the other pair. So, you'll have to do something about the speaker wiring before hooking up the Pioneer unit. By the way, what is the speakers' impedance?
fogstratus 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2003 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  

Other "things" have occupied me since early last week, and I am finally catching up with the more important things in life!

What I meant about the speaker wiring is:

--the "old" unit had the rear speakers wired as follows – the Orange wire was connected to the LF neg & the LR pos, and the White wire was connected to the RF neg & the RR pos.

--the rear speakers have separate neg & pos posts, so, my guess is that some place between the front wires and the rear speakers the two wires are connected to the Orange and White wires, going to the respective front neg and rear pos posts.

– thus, as MielGibson suggests, the speakers appear to be wired in series, NOT what the new Pioneer requires.

Going back to the electrical wiring – I finally got the Pioneer wired and operating. Although the ignition wire is not wired into the ignition, but wired "live" all the time. That was the original wiring, which I am going to change, eventually, so it is ignition connected.

Steve

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic