How do u install car amplifier at home?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pinchy 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2003 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  

Didn't know your amp was so big.  Gets expensive with efficient power supplies

http://www.jameco.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=346836&cgrfnbr=780&ctgys=503;528;780;

esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  

Me and a friend of mine toyed with the idea of running his two kappa perfect subs off of his Rockford 800a2 amp in his dorm room a couple years ago, but after lots of research and asking around, we determined he was gonna need one hell of a power supply.  Luckily your amp does not draw 70 amps peak current, cuz if it did you'd probably be looking at a $500 or $600 power supply, AT LEAST.  The power supply that pinchy suggested above will do you just fine and it should give your amp good clean power.

The battery idea, though possible, I would highly recommend against.  For one thing, unless it's a gel cell or sealed battery, it will give off hydrogen gas whenever it's charged.  In case you don't know, hydrogen gas is FLAMMABLE and it's also not the best thing to breathe on a regular basis.How do u install car amplifier at home? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

In order to charge the batteries at the same time that they're being used to power the amp, you'd also need a battery charger that's designed to charge a battery that already has a load on it.  This would likely end up costing you a LOT more than that 40 amp power supply that pinchy suggested.  Plus the power supply isn't flammable!How do u install car amplifier at home? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
I just read over your posts again and noticed you said your country uses a different AC voltage.  In this case you can still find a power supply that'll work--some of them have switches that let you choose which type of voltage it is.  Some even sense the input voltage and automatically adjust.  Finally, most of the power supple manufacturers make different versions of the same power supply model, for different countries.  This way you can have any model regardless of what country you live in.
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
pinchy 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2003 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I think the supply I suggested automatically detects the input power.  The specs say

Input voltage: 100-240VAC@50-60Hz

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic