icon

tune me in!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daygo140 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Below you'll find my problem addressed to a JL Audio rep. Anythingyou guys can add? Also anyone completely familiar with Alpine headunits? How do I turn The bass and EQ to zero and the crossovers offon my head unit or would I be better off doing so on my amp?
All help GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:29:40 -0400
Subject: Re: HELP!!
Address Book
To: daygo140@yahoo.com
First I recommend only using one EQ either the one in your head unitor the one in the amp. Both will provide undesirable results. Thesame goes for the crossovers. If you want to use the ones in the ampsthey should be adjusted this way:
Signal sensing: Off
Input Sens.: 12 O'clock
Input voltage switch: Low (the high setting is only used when the ampis connected to outputs of a factory amp)
Mode/Slope: 12 or 24dB. You decide. Which ever sounds better to you.
Filter Freq. (Hz): 80
Bass EQ: On
Q: 1.1
Center Freq.: 45Hz
Boost(dB): +2
Infrasonic Filter: off
The bass and EQ on your radio should be set to zero and thecrossovers should be off.
--
Hector O. Yanez
JL Audio
Area Technical Director
USA Zone 4/Latin America/Caribbean
Phone: (954)443-1100
Fax: (954)443-1108
E-mail: hyanez@jlaudio.com
----------
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 00:58:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: tech4@jlaudio.com
Subject: HELP!!
My system consists of:
head unit: Alpine CDA-7894 http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=CDA-7894&p_category=&p_subcategory=&p_main=&p_more=y
amp: JL Audio 500/1 http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/5001.html
subs: JL Audio CVS210G-W3v2 http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/CVS210GW3v2.html
It was installed by an authorized JL Audio dealer into my 2002 F-150SuperCab.
My dilemma is that I am having a tough time tuning the system in. Ifyou answer these questions I have, and anything else you might wantto add, it may help me somewhat. First, my head unit has 4 voltpreouts so my guess is that my amp's input voltage should be switchedto High or should it? It is in the high position currently but myinput sensitivity is pretty much maxed out. I want to get the mostfrom my speakers.
Second, my head unit has the following features (found at the URLabove):
Bass Center Frequency (Selectable) : 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz,130Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz
Bass Level Control Range : ±14dB at 60Hz (2dB steps)
Bass Width Adjustment (Q) : 4 Choices (1= Wide, 4=Narrow)
Crossover Type : Independent HP/LP (2-Way) Analog
High Pass Crossover Frequency (Selectable) : Off, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz
Low Pass Crossover Frequency (Selectable) : Off, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz
Now is that going to interfere with the Advanced Bass Control sectionof my amp? To be quite honest with you when adjusting some of thesefeatures on my head unit I don't seem to hear much of a difference insound, why? What am I doing wrong here? I do hear a differencethough when switching the Advance Bass Controls on my amp to on andoff, seems to sound louder and better.
What would be the optimum settings on my head unit and amp?
Help me out here!
All help greatly appreciated!
Tony
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2003 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a link to the owner's manual--it should give you pretty in depth instructions on how to zero out/disable all the relevant EQ settings of the head unit.  It will certainly do a much better job explaining stuff than I could!

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
Toy816 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2003 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
the reason you are not hearing a difference when you are adjusting the x over frequencies on your radio is - if your freq. on your amp is set to 80 you will only hear 80 and lower so adjusting your radio to 100 or 120 is useless because you'll never hear it because your filter on the amp won't let you
take your time and do it right the first time
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2003 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Toy816 hit the nail on the head. You run a risk of exremely limiting your signals if you use the filters on the headunit and amp at the same time. External crossovers are great for this (so you wouldn't have to use either the headunit or amp filters), but if you can't afford one then just use the filter on either the headunit or the amp (not both at the same time).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic