icon

Simple question for you guys.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gardobus 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, I'm new to installing anything into any vehicle. I have a '96 Chevy full size pickup and I would like to wire it so that I have a headphone sized male jack hanging out from the dash that I can plug into a portable cd player, mp3 player, tape player, etc.  This sounds like it would be really simple, but I'm new to all of this and am unsure how to go about it. 

I looked at the wiring diagram for my stereo and it has wires for four different speakers, so how would I wire the headphone jack into that since it is only stereo?

[ Stereo Wiring Diagram] [ Type of jack I want coming from the dash]

Maybe those links will help explain what I mean a little bit or let you guys help me more! Thanks in advance!

--------------
:)
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  
I can understand why you would want that, but unfortunately you will not be happy with the sound. The signal would be unamplified and you would not get any type of real volume. If you have an existing tape deck in the truck, perhapse something like this Sony adapter is more of what you would need. It allows you to use the included cassette adapter to interface with your existing headunit/amplifiers. The other end is a phono-plug like you asked for. This way the headunit's internal amplifier can power the speakers using the signal from the cd player, MP3 player, etc...
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
gardobus 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Ah, I see what you mean, Thanks.  I'm currently using the tape adapter but theres two things I dislike about it. One is that there is loss of quality through the tape deck (its not HORRIBLE, but it isn't the best. directly to the speakers would be better). Two is by having it go through the main stereo, you have to deal with the stereos volume as well as the cd player, mp3 player, etc. volume.  Its pretty difficult to get them both set to a volume that offers good quality and no problems during times of high bass (theres most likely a term for that, but like I said, I'm a newb).  Thats why I wanted it connected directly to the speakers, but I see the amp problem. Theres no way I could get this done huh? Because by using an amp, I have two volumes again don't I?
--------------
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with squirrel...I don't think this will sound too good. I used to have an equalizer that kind of let me do what you're trying....it had a pair of RCA's hanging out of the back that you could plug a cd player or walkman into. It just didn't sound that good.
Hey, cd head units are pretty cheap...and the ones that handle mp3s are coming down in price, too Simple question for you guys. - Last Post -- posted image.
gardobus 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

Ok. Thanks guys. I guess I'm gonna have to go ahead and get a cd/cd-mp3 headunit then. You guys know A LOT more than me, so if you say that it wont work right, then it wont work right. Thanks for clearing it up for me!

--------------
D148l0 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

Another option, if you still would like to be able to connect a casette player to your system, look for a head unit with an AUX / line-in  input in the front, similar to the one where you plug the earphones in a discman... that will allow you to use a casette player and, as wvsquirrel pointed, use the internal amplifier of the head unit. Here is an example of such head unit, note the little hole in the right side... If you like the idea, just look for one that fits your taste/budget... hope it's of any help.

Simple question for you guys. - Last Post -- posted image.

d148l0
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, another EQ I was using had that little line-in in the corner, too....but I never tried it. The EQ was like $30...just as another idea.
gardobus 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2003 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Ok cool, thats a good idea. That little line-in might be pretty useful for me, I'll look around for one that has that feature. Thanks!

--------------

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic