icon

speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DaBeast 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1000 watt sony amp 2 channel pushing 4 5.25s,a 6x9s,and 4 dome tweeter. But the amp is getting hot on one side and cutting off. What could be causing it to do so? And what wiring method should i was to fix it?
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

Are the 5.25s and the tweeters part of a set of component speakers?  If so, did you use the crossover that was included with each set?  When wired up properly (using the included crossover) you should technically be able to run all four component speakers from just your 2-channel amp, assuming it is 2-ohm stereo compatible (most are). 

However, that is definitely the limit to what you can safely hook up to your amp.  I don't know how it is currently wired up so I can't tell you exactly which pair of speakers to remove or which wires should go where, but basically you have 5 pairs of speakers and your amp will only support up to 4 pairs.  So either disconnect the 6x9s, or disconnect one of the set of component speakers, and you should be good to go. 

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
daslabb 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
they are all seperate and by them selves with no crossover. and I have 6 pair of speakers.
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

I sure hope those tweeters have built-in crossovers because if they're not hooked up to an external crossover and you send them a full-range signal, they'll more than likely get fried eventually.

The 6x9s are going to need to be powered by a different amp, or maybe the head unit's built-in amp.  However, you might be able to hook up the tweeters with the component woofers and achieve only 4 speaker loads (instead of 8).  What kind of tweeters are they?  (brand, model number?)

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
daslabb 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
power acoustik neo-32
esmith69 
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hook up each tweeter to its own woofer, in series, so that you have 4 sets of components.  Series wiring will mean at one end the tweeter's negative wire will be hooked up to the amp's negative terminal, then the tweeter's positive wire goes to the woof'ers negative terminal, and finally the woofer's positive wire goes to the positive amplifier connection.   Then just repeat the process for the rest of the component sets.

Then, you're going to be taking the front left and rear left sets, and hooking both the positives up to the left channel positive amplifier output terminal, and both negatives up to the left channel negative amplifier output terminal.  And likewise for the front right and rear right sets, you'll be doing the same thing but with the right amp channel.

Really you should have crossovers for the woofer but seeing as how there's supposed to be one already on the tweeter, I'll just assume that that's the case for the woofers as well.

Ethan
-----
Donate to the12volt.com
DaBeast 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2003 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
what if i got a 4 channel 800X4 amp would that make a differences than than getting a third amp?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic