icon

Battery drains overnight. Help!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robattoronto 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2003 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
How do i find what is causing a drain to my car battery overnight? I've recharged it 3 times and in the morning the battery is sluggish and by next day end, its dead.
I've disconnected the alarm and took out the dome light fuse. But it still happens. Any suggestions?
GavinJuice 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2003 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
I have a few suggestions for you. I went through this same thing with my car.  The first thing you can do is go to the local autostore and buy yourself a new battery ground cable. If that cable is shot, then your battery isn't being recharged, thus the slow drain of power when your driving it. Charge your battery full, go drive your car around, come back and shut it off. Try to restart you car. If it's sluggish then that could be a problem. Also this could be an alternator problem. Try the battery ground and hope thats all there is. If thats not it, there could be a multitude of suggestions for different problems. Your going to have to be more specific with when it happens.
rock and roll!!
alarmpro 
Copper - Posts: 110
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2003 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
First you should have the battery tested to make sure its not the battery before you start replacing things. I would hate for you to start replacing everything and it end up being the battery. In really cold and really hot weather, Batteries tend to clunk out..... Just get a cheap battery tester from any parts store that plugs into your cigarret plug and most of them have a battery and a charging system led that will indicate irregularities. Then go from there. Unless you have money to blow, then start replacing things and hope you replace the right one....
Also there is a way of checking your system if you have a digital multi meter, that will tell you if something in your car is draining the battery. Its very simple just connect the multimeter in series with the battery and put the meter into amps and you will see a draw in the system and then pull fuses and see which one makes the drop stop... Good luck...
robattoronto 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info guys. The alternator and the battery cables are fine as far as I know, because the battery do get charged after a drive. I've narrowed it down to 3 possible reasons.
- Checked the battery "colour" (it has one of those blue, yellow & red indicators). Its indicating that it needs to be topped up with water. Thats what the label says. But I find that weird since its a no-maintainance battery.
- After disconnecting the alarm, the battery seems to be holding the charge now. Find that weird since alarms are supposed to draw a small current. I wonder if incorrect positioning of the actuators might cause a draw in current.
- The "door open" light keeps coming on when i make a tight turn or go thru a bump. I need advice on how to trace this problem. I've checked both the door switch, cleaned them and they look fine. But the problem still happens.
robattoronto 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
Its a 1995 Integra BTW.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic