icon

amp wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
msf145 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2003 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
i just want to make sure i have the wiring correct before i do it and make a big mistake. im going to have a 4 gauge wire fused go trough the firewall to the trunk to a power capacitor on the + side. then from the + side of the cap to a power distrubutor. so i basically "goes through the cap" to the distributor. now i have 2 8 guage wires come off the distrubutor to 2 amps. one a jl audio 250/1 and the other a 50x2 alpine vpower amp. is this okay to do, dropping to 8 guage?      now i have the - side of the cap grounded using 4 guage wire. and i have the 2 amps grounded using 8 gauge wire. but instead of bringing it to ground i have a short piece go to the cap on the - side which is grounded anyway. is this okay to do, use that as a ground and 8 gauge wire?   now for the remote turn on lead of the radio. i have to turn on the cap and the 2 amps. can i split it 3 time or should i use a relay? if i use relay, can i connect a wire to the + side of the cap to the part of the relay that needs the +12v. is that okay to do? if not where is a good place to get a +12v sourse so i dont have to run a wire to the trunk? also what size fuses should i use. i need 3. one for the main power wire near the battery. and 2 more for both amp. the 50x2 alpine and the 250/1 jl audio. thanx!
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

OK it sounds good but here's some suggestions (I'll go throught the whole system)

For the + side of everything.........From the battery a fused 4 guage wire, through the firewall to the cap (now you should have another fuse 8" before the cap because the cap is basically like a bomb if it is overpowered) If your fused distribution block has three or more out puts that are fused put the cap on one of those other fused lines.  Or you could use your cap just for your 250/1  and run your 4guage wire to the power db block and then an 8 guage to the vpower and the other 8guage to the cap and throught the cap to the 250/1.  your vpower will not draw a lot of voltage.  but it is a clear quality amp.  now make sure your grounds are the same size wire as what you put into your component for power. And for the remote wire......Your actual remote ouput can't usually handle more that two components.  therefore tap into your red switched wire which is basically the same thing and has the basic principles of your remote wire but much more power.  and the other thing you want to keep in mind is that you want the remote wire to go from the hu switched 12+ to the cap, from the cap to an amp, and from the amp to the other amp.   And your last topic.........fuses.......AGU at the battery should be 80, and you could go 60 for 250/1 and 30 for vpower.  otherwise if anl at batter go 100 then 60 for 250/1 and 40 for vpower.  Ok hope that helps.......

Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
msf145 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
ok thanx. so it wont matter is i use the cap for jsut the jl amp? can i still connect the 8 gauage grounds of the amps to the - of the cap and then one ground (8 guage)from the - cap to the car chassis? or should i have all 3 go to the chassis? if i wanted to could i put the cap before the distributor so it was for both amps? would i notice a difference at all. thanx.
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2003 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
I would gorund the amps and caps seperately to the chasis of the car.  Or common ground them at the same point on the chasis.  You could run them through the ap but you "should" get mre power through the system by grounding them seperately.  The point of having the cap after the db block is so you can fuse it so if it gets too much power the cap wont explode.  The way I have my 3 farad cap is so it gives its most power to my sub amp which is 1300w RMS.  MY four channel doesn;t use a lot of power and my yellow top optima batery can sustain the pull.  Hope that helps.....
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic