icon

Problem w/ headunit or speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
civtr 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Hi...I've recently encountered a problem with the bass coming from my headunit.  I own a pioneer p8400. When I turn the volume up pass a certain loudness or if the bass thumps pass a certain loudness all I'll get is a buzz replacing the bass from the speakers.  At first I thought the rear 6*9's were going bad, but when I faded the speakers, they were all the same.  I have checked the wiring for the unit and all seems well.  I really have no idea what the problem is.   I have really good highs, and mids, but I have to turn down the bass cause of the annoying buzz....please help!!! thanx 
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
might always be a panel or grille that's just rattling or vibrating....turn the FIE on and fade to the rears, then turn it up to the point at which it normally happens, and put your ear right near the speaker.  If possible try and remove one of the panels that is covering/hiding the speaker, too.  Just put pressure on the spot where it sounds like it's coming from.  If after doing all that it doesn't go away it's probably something with the speakers themselves.  Are these all factory speakers or aftermarket ones?
Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Dose it happen in all the speakers? Also do you have any amps if so what is your setup?
civtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

It happens to all the speakers, these are not factory speakers.  They are kenwood excelons.  I don't have any amps powering them , they are just off the headunit.   It's not a rattling noise of some sort, but rather the type of noise you get when you try to play loud bass on crappy speakers, like a kind of buzzing.   I've had a few headunits in this car and this is the first time it has happened.  It's really annoying since I practically cannot listen to any bass at all!!  PEASE HELP!! thanx

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2003 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
So the speakers are bottoming out with the bass? That head unit has a built in X-over sounds like you don’t have it at the correct frequency.
civtr 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2003 at 3:23 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, basically that's the situation, I've tried playing around with the crossover, but it doesn't seem to rectify the problem.
radioactive 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2003 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
one possiblity could be that one or more of the speakers is wired backwards i'd also check a bad Gd. connection with your deck
"The important thing is not to stop questioning"
wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
wiring a speaker backwards only makes it out of phase.  That would not cause this buzzing noise.  what frequencies are you adjusting on the crossover?  also, pull out the deck, and test a speaker output with a KNOWN GOOD speaker.  If the speaker makes the same noise, the problem very well could be coming from the deck itself.  With other decks functioning properly and not emmitting the distortion, the p8400 may be bad.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2003 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  

I agree with wizzle.  If all four speakers are "buzzing" it may be a problem with your head unit.  Sounds like maybe the output amplifiers are going bad.

Also, have you examined  the speakers for evidence of damaged cones or seperated surrounds?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic