icon

Computer System in Car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2003 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

I have been thinking about installing a computer in my car.  I want to hook this up to my system (amps, subs, etc.) and mount a monitor in the dash.  This way I can play music straight from the computer's hard drive, and also watch movies.  I have a few general questions...

How to power it?  Should I just get a power inverter?

I know that it is bad for a computer to just cut the power to it thus turning it off without shutting down first.  So this tells me that anytime that I turn off my ignition I'll have to first shut down my computer.  Is there any way around this?

Will the hard drive skip when I go over bumps?

Biohazardous 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2003 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
A friend of mine did this in his car he installed an extra batt so his power wouldnt be an issue he used a power invertor but not one of the cheap cig. lighter ones he bought the ones used in conversion vans  for the tv vcr systems. . . he then made sure that it was wired up to the batts hard wired not through the ignition system so when he turned his car off it didnt make a difference bc it still had power  obviously it eats power quicker this way but his comp had some sort of a power saver mode where it "goes to sleep" kind of a stand by sort of thing   he hasnt had any probs as long as he remebers to put it on power saver mode. . . ..hope this helps in some way
toadia 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2003 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
also you will need somekind of line driver to amp up the signal and maybe a x-over if you amps don't have them built in. soundcards don't have alot of outout voltage.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic