icon

wiring question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
ok this may sound stupid but im trying to hook up a JL 15w3 dual 2 ohm, and ive cant figure it out.  it has 2 voice coils with a positive, and negative terminals for each, but for each positive is 2 hookup blocks(i dont kno what they are called), in the past i just stripped the wire and plugged the bare copper into the screw thingy, but ive never seen this before.  Im trying to wire the voice coils in series, do i need to run wires from both of these hookup blocks(again i dont kno what they are called) or will it work with just one? thanks in advance sorry for the question if it seems stupid
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
Just wire up like in the diagram. series wiring If you don't hook up both voice coils you run a great risk of damaging your sub.
94bonny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
i understand that part, but the actuall physical hookup to the sub, there are 2 places you can place the wire on each positive and negative terminal, so on this dual voice coil sub, there are 8 places to attatch the wire, in order to make it series i need only attatch it in 4 places, i have no idea what the other 4 places to attatch the wire are for... if this doesnt make sense once again im sorry, i dont kno how to describe it
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
I know what you mean now. My guess would be that they are there to make it easier to link your subs together. So basically you only need to hook it upto a set of positive and negative on each side.
94bonny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks a bunch if i hook it up like that and its wrong is there a chance it could hurt the sub?
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Well yeah there is always that chance. Have a look under the cone of the sub and see if u can see where the wires run from each connection. If they run to the same point from the same side u'll be right. Otherwise if very doubtful ring JL or email them.
94bonny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
well all is well and the sub is workin fine, thanks for the help nedgeworth, i really appreciate it
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
No probs wiring question - Last Post -- posted image.
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
hook up to the one sticking straight down... the other one doesnt put out hardly any power

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic