RCA vs UTP

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
What are peoples views on this??
I really have no idea. In my last system I just used very cheaper RCA's with no problems with noise whatso ever. This time around i've decided to use UTP and see what the deal is with them. I'm expecting the same result as i won't be closely running near any power. Main choice for these was to be a little different and a lot less bulk of having 3 sets running down the side of the car.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
I've never used UTP cables for sudio.  I understand they work fairly well.  The interface looks like a PITA to make up, though.  RCA's are just so much easier...
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
I have never seen them nor heard them used in a car audio aplication. What equiptment has UTP connections? I would belive that if you were using a standart cat 5 cable that you would pick up more interference then if you were to use a good or even cheap set of rca cables. I am in the computer buissenss my self , and know first hand how sensitive thoes cables are to interferince. Do they use a special shilded cable or just a standard cat 5?
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
Well from what i can tell they are just standard cat 5 cable with rca's on the end. The one's i have are clear blue so you can just see the twisted wires under the casing. Yeah i would expect that RCA would probably do a better job. But might as well experience something and see how it goes! As of hopefully saturday i will have both those eclipse 10's in my civic so i'll let you know how they go!! (as long as i don't get interferance now!!)
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Do you know were there is a link to a picture? But defiantly let us know how you like the subs and the cables.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
Belden makes a special UTP cable called Media Twist that is specifically designed for audio, video, high-speed digital and other data-heavy applications where cross-talk and noise resistance is needed.  It is not just standard Cat 5 cable, although I have read about folks using Cat 5 for audio.  The trick is in proper termination, so if the cables nedgeworth has are already terminated into RCAs, they should work fine!
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah here is a link to the ones i have. You can't see to much from these pics but it gives you a brief description. If i had a digital camera i would take some snappy for you. I'll see if i can borrow a friends on the weekend but here is the link. 5mt Twisted - Pair 2 x RCA to 2 x RCA Cable
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2003 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hmmm well they seem to block out noise a lot better than cheap RCA's had a lot of fun with sticking both cables down the same side of the car with the power and the UTP can up tops quite easily! Surprized the hell outta me.
Finially got my 2 eclipse 10's in the boot of my civic hatch and wow. I've never had 10's kick the wind outta me in a car there insane. Of course me being an SQ man i turned my subs to a reasonable level with the option of cranking it up when i need it. All i need is my doors and boot sound deadend later in the week and my splits installed and should be sounding even sweeter. Thanks very much for all your help bberman has paid over greatly. Now all i have to do is control myself from upgrading my system in the next 6 months RCA vs UTP - Last Post -- posted image.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2003 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

I’m glad to hear that you like the subs, I knew that you would. I also know that you’re an SQ guy and SQ and SLP don’t mix well together. But if you play around with everything you can get an amazing mix of earth shaking bass that sounds ultra clean. As far as the UTP's go would you suggest them over a good set of RCA's?

nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2003 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
Well after i do a little more testing i'll give you my opinon. But as it standands at the moment they seem to outdo a set of streetwire RCA's i tested against. I would like to test on my splits as noise will be more noticable. Very impressed for half the price of the streetwires and they seem to be even better!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic