icon

Good SQ Headunit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah this will be a very on going process. Unfortunately i have already been to a few dealers and asked if i could have a demo in my vechile and they were rather relucant. But hopefully persistance will pay off!!!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
Let's see here, you want to spend money in their shop? They are reluctant. Does one dealer carry both brands or do you have to go to diferent dealers? Ask them if business is so good then that;s why can they afford to turn business away.  The Eclipse if it is last years model (pretty sure) they should be doing whatever they can to clear it out, be it cheap price or free install, whatever. Persistence will pay off no doubt and hopefully you will be cruizn with style real soon. Once you gain what you need from a shop that will go the extra mile for you, that my friend is where you can continue to shop. You work hard for your $, make them do the same.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Nah i have to go to different dealers for both. Annoying thing is being over here in Australia it takes them a while to actually get up with the times with the products. Have always been about 6months to a year behind over here!
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Well that just sucks blue whale! Your time is money, don't waste any more of it. The Eclipse is the one, buy it, get it put in, a day later go buy the Alpine, take it home and swap it out. If the dealer is not willing to help you then I sure will. Make sure the Alpine / Eclipse dealer has a return policy as I don't want to see you stuck with two cd players. To each his own but at CES year after year, most companies that do not manufacture heads relied on Eclipse to make their gear sound as best as is could. Btw Eclipse hold the Autosound Grand Prix award again this year for one of the best cd receivers in the industry, the cd3413. 
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

definately look at the big features like crossovers, dedicated pre-outs, boost/cut frequency selections, and such.  What i can tell you, is that alpine has a excellent crossover for sub, and mid on that model.  And you can choose what frequency you want to be your "center" frequency and boost/cut it.  Unlike other cd players where they choose the frequency for you.

Oh and don't forget the alpine has the function so that you can adjust the sub, and only the sub's level from the push of the volume knob.  no more of this getting out, walking to the back of the car, and adjusting the amp for every diffent kind of music.

forbidden 
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

Sometimes big features have nothing to do with sound quality. I am sure that you are aware that most cd players with built in crossover's limit the slope of the crossover to 6 or 12 db per octave. Maybe, just maybe there are some out there that are 18 or 24, but generally speakering, most crossover on amplifiers are a minimum of 12db up to (high end guys) 24db per octave (also with hight slopes available). Most cd players in the industry have dedicated pre-outs for front / rear /subwoofers, not just the Alpine, but in the lowly old now out of business in Canada, Jensen. The cd5441 also has a dedicated subwoofer level control, push the volume knob until it reads non fader, turn the volume know up or down to adjust level. If you take a water hose, run it through a whole pile of gates, what happens to the pressure in the end. The best path for audio is as direct as possible to keep the signal clean. Eq's and such can be useful if they have a dedicated purpose (to solve a dedicated problem) otherwise they are a bandaid to fix a problem. If you start out clean, you end up clean. The Alpine is a good cd player, miles ahead of people like Driftwood, Clarion, Sony etc., but not since the original Alpine 7909 back in the late 80's (sold some of these) have they produced a cd player that has the same "flavour of sound" that compared to that old model. Btw, the Eclipse Cd5441 is a 2 year old model, so you should ask for a redt hot scorching price on it. It has a 5volt (at 0db) non clipping 100ohm pre-out bank. What this means to you is that in an amplified system, with the gains set properly, you can pin the cd volume control (top volume reads 80) and get no distortion. The lower the impedance on the pre-out, the better the sound quality. Now as I pointed out earlier, I'm not trying to knock the Alpine, it is a great cd player, probably my third choice personally, but when you compare apples to apples on the basis of sq, the Eclipse is a clear winner. To argue that point is great, that's what these forums are for, one thing to remember is that we all hear differently.

nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
So what does the CD5433 have over the older 5441 deck? Cause from a look point of view i want something that isn't going to attract attention and i think that newer deck will.
I'm more set towards an eclipse deck now just going to take my time to figure out which one is for me. I'm thinking about competting in SQ middle-end of next year so i'm having a good think about everything.
forbidden 
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

The main differences in the two models are the asthetics, the newer model has a lower pre-out impedance (will help to improve sq), A MOSFET amplifier section in the new unit (higher current power supply - this will have no bearing in an amplifier system). As far as ease of use goes, the new model CD5433 is way easier to use, especially the track controls - on the old one the controls for the track functions tend to rattle, a remote control with volume control (new model), MP3 capability (not a factor for sq). If I had my ruthers, I would buy the new one. I use the CD8443.

nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah i am not going to be running anything off the deck so that is of no concern to me. If i had a larger budget i would be looking at the CD8443. So basically at the moment i'm in the middle of the range but if i'm looking to compete i should be looking more towards the newer model if i can get my hands on it. Hmmm so many possiblities!!!!
forbidden 
Posted: November 03, 2003 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
I think you just answered your own question. Btw the wiring harness is the same for all models of Eclipse, so an upgrade in the future is way easy to do. Congrats on your new purchase.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic