enclosure help

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
da0acer0 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

hello,

im a nebie at all this car audio and electronics stuff...

i built an enclosure for my two subs (2 12" Advents...i know they suck), and the volume is around 2.5 cubic feet (the best volume for one is around 1.25 cubic feet according to paper that came with them) anyways my question is, if i put fiberglass or all that other stuff you guys have mentioned here in the box (its a sealed box) to fill it up what would that do to the sound, and wouldnt it f**k up the magnets on the woofers? i mean if the magnets were embedded in fibergalss or the pink fluffy stuff wouldnt that damage them???

thank you

da0acer0

Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
What they meant was filling the enclosure with poly fill(pillow stuffing) or something similar. Or fiberglassing the inner seams of the enclosure, or fiberglassing the entire interior of the enclosure. Do not put fiberglass on the speaker at all!enclosure help - Last Post -- posted image.
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
da0acer0 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

ohh ok...but wont the pillow stuffing be in the way if you fill the enclosure to 70%??? and wouldnt it be bad if its like in contact with the woofer on the back?? (i think i read somewhere that they become veryhot in sealed boxes..am i wrong?) and if they do become hot, cant the pillow stuffing catch on fire?

thanks

da0acer0

Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

I have not ever had that problem with any of my systems, don't know if anyone else has.

Not unless you dip that fill in flamable liquids you should not have that problem.

Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
da0acer0 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

ok thanks.....so what is best to "stuff" the box with? pillow stuffing or anything else???

ohh and also, i built the box and i sealed all the joints with silicone...but i still dont think its air tight, and there is this guy that can fiberglass the box for me for free...should i let him fiberglass it?? (by fiberglassing i mean the outside not theinside, so it gets an airtight and smooth finish)

Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
Are you going to paint the box?
Sound Pressure
da0acer0 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

yeah im gonna paint the box...

Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
You should be fine then. Good luck! Post your results and if you can post a picture of it to show the entire forum.
Sound Pressure
da0acer0 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
ok i will...thanks for the help
Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2002 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

No problem.

Anytime

Sound Pressure

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic