icon

Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
day952 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2002 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
In the may issue of Auto Sound & Security magazine ther was a how to article on making a power inverter work with a 12 volt system by means of a relay, "the type of converter with the cigarette adapter on the end. In the article there was a diagram that showed the cigarette adapter being cut off and the neg and pos leads being attached to the relay, but I cant figure out which terminals they go to or where the 12v signal and other needed wires. I have lost my only copy of the mag and am in desperate need of help. The relay was active only when the car is on. If anyone has this issue and can send me a copy of the digram or has the knowledge to explain how to do this please let me know. Thank you.
day952
sparkyssb 
Copper - Posts: 205
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2002 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

I dont subscribe but i bet it was something like what i made below:

Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image.

Hope this helps!

day952 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2002 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Sparkyssb! Thanks for the reply but the picture of whatever you created does'nt show up in your message, maybe you could try again or we could work out someother way to view it. Thanks againDoes anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image.
day952
sparkyssb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2002 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

$&^+!! i have had that thing posted for a day and the time you look at it my freaking server is down!!! ahh!! Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image.

no..seriously, no wonder my site is down..the server Eriecoast.com is down..and I work for the company!!! so that means were having problems..damn!!

[edited]

day952 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2002 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
sparkyssb! I swear up and down that im not stupid "at least thats what the driver of the little school bus tells me"Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image. but correct me if i am wrong but does terminal 85 represent the neg lead and terminal represent the pos lead? What are 86 "acc and 30? where do i get my 12v source from? relay are still a f#$%ing mystery to me. What did you use yours for? Thanks for your patience, I appreciate it. day952@aol.com
day952
sparkyssb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2002 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey day,

I was in your boat about 4 months ago..i didnt know what an freaking relay did..but now its sooo simple, i dont know how the hell i could have been confused..but seriously, this might help: [take a deep breath, take your time, and read the following carefully]

A relay is nothing but a simple coil, with two wire ends, (represented as 86 and 85) Now, when this coil receives a charge from a + and - , then the coil acts like a magnet..and makes a magnetic field around it.  The relay is designed however to have moveable parts that interact with this magnetic field.  These movable parts are in relaity a switch.  The switch has a common connection (represted as pin 30)..now the two pins left over (87 and 87a) are the other two contacts for the switch. 

When a relay has no power, the common (pin 30) touches pin 87a...and there is a connection between the two.  When the relay coil gets energized, common (pin 30) touches pin 87..and there is a connection bewteen the two. Once the power is off, the common goes back to touch pin 87a.

All it  is, is a switch that will turn on or off depending whether or not the relay (coil) gets power.

Now, back to the matter at hand; in the diagram above, pin 86 is wired to an accessory power wire that is usually hooked up to your stereo. (i used this wire because it only gets a + signal when the car is on or the key is turned to accessories)  the negative (pin 85) is a common ground...usually to your car metal. Remember how the coil is pin 86 and 85...if the common ground is always hooked up to the relay (coil) but the accessory line (pin 86) only receives a + signal when the car is on..then that is self explanitory that the relay will be energized only when the car is running or in 'accessory mode'.

Cause we got that far, now we need to look at how to power the inverter through the relay. You have a positiive a negative wire on the inverter so you'll first want to hook up the negative input to a common ground ..again your car metal.  The positive input wire now needs to hook up on pin 87 of the relay. [Remember pin 87 is normally open (NO)]

Last but not least..how the hell does the inverter get the positive (+) it needs? Simple!..hook up a wire going directly to a 12v+ source (the car battery is your best bet)  to the common pin on the relay (pin 30).

Thats it! Now, when you turn on your car the relay will be energized and send that positive signal from the battery (pin 30) to the positive input on the inverter (pin 87).  WHALLA! The device you are looking for! Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image.

I hope this helps you understand a standard 5 pin relay better and how the inverter will only turn on with the car being powered;  Cause I know I sure as hell got cramps from writing so much..hehe..take care!

sparkyssb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2002 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

P.S. I never had an inverter in my car..i just made the diagram after you posted the question.

(Also, i edited one of my posts so the image doesnt show twice because the server is back up Yay! Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image.)

day952 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2002 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Sparkyssb! You have been a great help!Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image. Thanks for all of your patience and taking time to give a newbie a hand, much appreciated. Thanks alot. day952@aol.com
day952
sparkyssb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2002 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

Certainly!! I am always glad to help out when i can!...(which is usually never Does anyone subcribe to Auto Sound &Secur - Last Post -- posted image. cause I'm the one asking questions.hehe) You all take care.

cdaw 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2002 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

So sparkyssb, You work for eriecoast???

JT (formerly of Micro Advantage)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic