icon

brake lights don’t work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
msf145 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
I just realized tonight my brake lights do not work. I have no clue when they stopped working so i do not know if it is something i did or they randomly broke. i have a 97 mitsu eclipse. the hazards, reg tail lights, reverse lamp all work. When i step on the brake the lights do not go on. i have no clue what it is. i checked the fuses. etc. any one gotta clue and point me in the right direction. i want to see what i can do before i pay someone a ton to fix a simple problem (if it is). also this may help. my remote start hasnt worked properly for a while. when i step on the brake it doesnt disengage. could this mean it is not seeing the brake 12volt signal to stop it?
Bnluis 
Silver - Posts: 578
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

Check the fuses under the hood? is defentlly a fuse .ee owners manual

Luis
Sound Waves
Is up to the installer to test all wires with a DMM whenever possible.
crosswired 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  

i dont really know how the remote start things work, but i would bet that the stop light switch went bad. it is located on the arm of the brake pedal, above where your foot goes). simple push button switch. if the remote start uses something from that (it has 12 volts in, and when the brake is hit, 12 volts to the lamps. seems like a remote start would have to tap into the outgoing side of the switch. but i dont know how the remote start stuff works). 

anyhow, i would  definately look at that. test light and two seconds to check it.  it should be a cheap part too.

good luck.

msf145 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
im goning to test that now. thanx buddy. ill let you know if that worked.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

You said you checked the fuses, did you check visually, or with a meter?  I'm assuming the fuses are oriented correctly, and you have power to that slot in the fuse panel(s).  Did you check the bulbs as well?  We'll assume you did that too. 

The brake pedal is definitely where I'd start.  Check for proper operation, making sure it is not binding, or stuck open.  Ensure you are getting 12 volts to the switch, as crosswired suggested.  If you are not, you probably have a blown fuse, or bad wiring up to the switch, which needs to be addressed first.  If you do have power, press the pedal, and check for voltage across the switch. 

Now have an assistant press the pedal, while you check for voltage back at the brake lights them selves.  Check your ground for proper tightness/connection.  Although you have a dual filament bulb (2057), and your tail lights are working, the brakes probably operate at a higher wattage (more current) than the tail lights, and the ground might not be allowing enough current to pass (I've seen this). 

If you do have power at the brake lights themselves, and the bulbs check out, then you have a problem in the sockets.  Pull the bulbs out and inspect the sockets for corrosion and ensure they're making good contact.  There's probably some bulb grease in there, so you may have to wipe it out to check this.

If you're not getting power to the sockets, trace the wires from the pedal, all the way back, testing for voltage along the way until you find your problem (possibly a broken/pinched/frayed lead) that may be shorting to ground.  This is probably a good time to disconnect the remote start connection at the pedal to rule that out as a possibility.  Good luck, I hope this helps.

msf145 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
thanx man. i checked the fuses again. and it looked fine but i tested with a multimeter and the filament must have brocken where i couldnt see it. so i replaced it and its fine. thanx alot.
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

Your connection to the hot wire on the brake switch cut through the wire, and now nothing works at all.  I would recommend redoing that connection.  Usually it's a white wire coming out from the top of the brake pedal.

--mindctrl

mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

Your connection to the hot wire on the brake switch cut through the wire, and now nothing works at all.  I would recommend redoing that connection.  Usually it's a white wire coming out from the top of the brake pedal.

--mindctrl

crosswired 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
MSF, glad you are up and running.  i know what you mean; as i get older, i find that i use a DMM or test light to check fuses, as i cant see if the fuses are blown or not.  glad you  checked the simple stuff again.  another lesson i ve learned. :-)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic