the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Door locks 96 Toyota Camry and domelight

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
erinh 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  

When I hooked up my bulldog rs 114 keyless entry/remote start a few weeks ago I used the wiring diagrams from this site for the door lock/unlock wires. I found this diagram: http://bulldogsecurity.com/New%20Wires/New%20Wires/Wires/images/oldtoysafelock.htm for child safety lock wire that I did not hook up. It always locks with the remote, but some days the unlock it will only flash the parking lights and not actually try to unlock the doors - then some days it does work. Will hooking it up like this diagram solve this problem?

By the way when I look for this wire, what readings should i get from it when pressing lock/unlock to know that I have the right wire?

Also while I'm taking things apart again, does anyone know which wire is for the domelight?

desh187 
Copper - Posts: 310
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
96 CAMRY
POWER LOCK(-)   -LT GREEN 20 PIN CONNECTOR IN DRIVER KICK PANEL.
POWER UNLOCK -DK GREEN                          
CHILD SAFETY LOCK-BLUE/RED(-) SAME CONNCTOR AS ABOVE.
DOME LIGHT- RED / WHITE (-) 6 PIN BLUE CONNECTOR AT FUSE BLOCK IN DRIVER KICK PANEL.
YOU HAVE TO USE A TEST LIGHT ON THE DOOR LOCK WIRES WHICH WHEN SEES GROUND WILL LOCK/UNLOCK AND IT IS A MUST TO USE TWO I AMP DIODES (SPLIT UNLOCK WIRE WITH BAND SIDE OF DIODE FACING ALARM MODULE)OR ELSE YOUR KEYLESS WILL NOT UNLOCK THE DOOORS.
erinh 
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
erinh 
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  

in the same connector as the power lock/unlock wires, there are 2 blue/red wires.

one is thin and has occasional brown colored spots on it. tested with a testlight, shows it is grounded only when the door lock/unlock switch is pushed to unlock and remains grounded until the the lock button is pushed.

the other is a little bit thicker wire that does not have these brown spots on it. this one is always grounded, except for when the lock button is actually being pushed.

any idea which one is the correct one?

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
I can't believe people are still messing around with using diodes on Camry from that era. Use the following, they will work 100% of the time...no diodes or "child safetly wire" needed.
Power Lock      blue/white        -       passengers kick blue plug
Power Unlock      lt. GREEN/ red        -       passengers kick blue plug
Test the wires by turning the key in the passenger door lock cylinder.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
hmm....yeah you do need the child safety wire, if not sometime your unlock wont work. test this w/o the child safety for a year and unlock doesnt work sometime(5%), so i then have to connect the child safety and isolated it w/ diode......viola, i dont have to unlock w/ a key after disarm my alarm anymore.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
profuse, the problem you have is you used the wires that come from the switch on the door for lock and unlock. If you use the wires that come from the key cylinder they work 100% of the time and they will also arm and disarm the factory alarm if equiped...but if I remember correctly, the Camry didn't come with a factory alarm in 96 like most of them do today.
I believe the switch on the door falls asleep after a few minutes when you lock the door with the door open. Reasoning behind this is to prevent a thief from pulling back on the window and hitting the switch on the door with a coathanger to unlock the door. The car sees you locking the door with it open and assumes you are exiting the vehicle.
I've probably done over 100 Camry's in my life, I think I know what I'm talking about. So no, you don't need the "child safety wire" if you use the correct wires for lock and unlock.
erinh 
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
okay thank you Jworm. I left the lock wire where it was, and hooked the unlock on teh passenger side - works great now!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic