icon

96 Taurus cd changer controls?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jb03 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a 1996 Ford Taurus GL and I was wondering if the factory deck had a cd changer control input??  I dont think I can put a aftermarket deck in because the factory deck also has the climate controls built into it.  I tried putting a universal fm cd changer in but it doesnt sound good at all and I was hoping that the factory deck had this controller on it with out having to take it all apart  just to find out it doesn't .  Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Unless your radio has a CD button on the front panel there isn't any way of hooking up a CD changer to it other than with a FM modulator. There are aftermarket kits that enable you to replace the whole radio/climate control panel and then install an aftermarket radio. They aren't cheap though. See the Metra guide for a listing if they are still available.
sparky
jb03 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

No cd button. So are there any fm modulater cd changers that sound digital??  If so I would appreciate it if you could post a few.  The one I have is a qwestar piece of crap clearance deal.   Thanks again.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Unfortunately FM modulated changers cannot sound any better than FM radio.  A limitation of the technology I'm afraid.  Some do sound better than others, though. 
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
The easiest thing to do would be to get an FM modulated cd changer and make sure it's properly grounded (which you've done). But since they run the fm signal on the radio they sound like well....radio. If you want a clearer sound then you could go the aftermarket route and get a matched set of a head unit and changer but the dash kits for those taurus' are kinda pricey. I would suggest seeing if you can find a radio for your year car (ebay) that will work with the wiring you have and then would allow you to connect a ford or OEM replacement changer. Unless you need to keep the factory radio..you'd be happier with an aftermarket setup in the long run.    
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   96 Taurus cd changer controls? - Last Post -- posted image.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

Look at this: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-q3ALnBiyTbz/autoinfo/OEMChangers.asp?s=0&cc=01

If you dont want to do that then look at this dash kit: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-q3ALnBiyTbz/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=142F134030&s=0&cc=01 which dosnt have that bad of a price really.

devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

go to the local junk yard, and find a factory radio with the cd functions, and get a factory 6 disc changer...it ( in theory) will plug into the stereo...you do know your stereo is auctually in the trunk? driverside fenderwell.  it will cost you a few bucks....but your getting factory quality, and keep the original look.

just my two cents!

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

If you can find a factory radio with cd functions then go with my first option above because the factory cd changer would cost more ,but if you buy a kenwood cd changer with the pie adaptor then you would be getting a better price and better sound quality.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-q3ALnBiyTbz/autoinfo/OEMChangers.asp?s=0&cc=01

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

sorry. try this link instead: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-huVmwJiGqPo/cgi-bin/autoinfo/autoinfo.asp?s=0&id=&vehicleid=9396&cc=01&vb=&lp=    scroll about half way down the page and then click on Factory (OEM)- compatible cd changers.

jb03 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hey all I really appreciate all the replies.  After doing some additional research it looks like I'm going with the aftermarket install kit because the whole ordering a new oem radio w/cd controls is just too expensive.  Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic