icon

does the stock rds radio have to stay in

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
usafsurfer 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Im putting a new cd player in  a 2003 s10 and it has a stock rds cd player in it when I went to circuit city they sold me an adapter kit and said the stock cd player had to stay in it there is only 3 wires running into the stock cdplayer when its all hooked up are they neccesary or can I cut it out all together ......... just another note Im making my own adapter and returning this expensive one.......... I dont have onstar or any navigation or anything special
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  
if it uses the relocation harness then it has to be in there, do you have a animated display on the dash that flashes red and says "security" or shows a picture of your battery? cause if you have that, you may loose that, and other convinence features. Or you can try the GM '99 up plug that looks like the relocation harness.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 4:25 AM / IP Logged  
the 2003 s10 stock h/u does need to remain hooked up for the truck to operate properly, just move the h/u to behind one of the seats with the relocation harnes(extending the wires) and then put your aftermarket kit and h/u in place
Quad L Handyman services
usafsurfer 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  

The thing is I dont want to leave in stock head unit anywhere in the truck and the only light anywhere related to the stereo is a blinking red light when the truck is off I started it up once while the stereo was removed and no light changed or anything ....... the only possible thing might be if it beeps when I leave the keys in and Im willing to sacrifice that.......

anything else is greatly appreciated

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
The vehicle's data bus network in your truck depends on the radio if other components fail. If it wasn't required, then companies wouldn't have made all these kits. If the radio isn't in and working in the truck you can kiss any GM warranty goodbye. The three wires you describe are the bare minimum (power, ground and data). Unfortunately for you, your truck is limited in space to relocate the radio. You may not notice any immediate problems in your truck if you remove the radio, but you will and these could be very serious.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic