icon

Amp Suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

I am planning on purchassing two amps in the near future.  A 4 channel to put out between 75 and 100 watts rms x4 @ 4 ohms, and a 2 channel or mono amp that will put out 500 watts x2 @ 2 ohms.  I'm not sure what type of subs to get yet, I would also appreciate oppinions on those too.  I am thinking about getting an Alpine mrv-f540 4-channel amp, and a Alpine m1000 subwoofer amp.  For subs I like the Eclipse aluminum series?  My main conscern for this system is sound quality.  Will I be able to here an SQ difference between the aluminum 10's and 12's?  I also like the Diamond audio TDX series, but they are more expensive and harder to find online. 

I also like the JL amps, but they are more expensive.  Can anyone vouch for performance differences between the JL 1000/1 and alpine m1000, or for the jl 450/1 or 300/1 and the alpine f540?  Also I'm having difficulty finding certain specifications for these amps, such as the dampening factors. 

Thanks for the help.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

RE: amps:  JL and Alpine amps are, in my opinion, very similar in SQ and overall quality.  Both are mid-level amps.  A JL amp can sometimes take more abuse as a sub amp, but for highs/mids you will probably hear no difference.  If SQ is your main concern, you might want to listen to a Memphis or Planet Audio amp in the JL price range...

RE: SQ difference between 10" and 12" subs.  In general, a 10" sub has a bit less low frequency response (since it moves less air with a fixed input) but is better able to reproduce details in the upper ranges (because the woofer cone has less mass so can move more easily.)  In my opinion, what you lose below 35 Hz in a 10" VS a 12" is very much worth what you gain in musicality, imaging and detail.

Eclipse Aluminum subs are very nice for SQ.  Diamond, I think, is better.

specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Come on I know more people have opinions on amps and subs, especially alpine and eclipse.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse aluminum subs Amp Suggestions - Last Post -- posted image.! I know Bberman1 will agree to this. Build the box to 1.25 cubic foot sealed. Make sure the baffle board is a minumum of 1" thick, double 3/4" would be nice as the subs are heavy and have a tendency to rip out of 3/4" mdf. Are you looking at the svc or dvc version of this sub, this will help to determine an amp for you. It will also point the direction to the 4 channel amp if you want them to match, most people do.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have a huge problem with JL amps. I find they are just simply over priced. I like the clean look of them but They arent worth what they charge. If your choices are narrowed down to JL or Alpine go with Alpine. As far as subs go, for sq, I would definatly go with Diamond. I have voiced my dissatisfaction with the eclipse before and see no need to do it again. I have heard the Diamond lines and I think they are awsome. By the way, why are you limiting yourself to online buying, dont you have a decent stereo shop where you are. If you do go listen to some stuff, by what makes you happy and sounds good to your ears. The only thing more personal than sound is the girls you like.
specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

I am not sure whether I will get a SVC or a DVC.  I guess I always figured I'd  choose my amp first, then pick the voice coil configuration that worked best for it.  I am hoping to have 2 subs putting a 2 ohm load on the mono amp, so that I coud get more power.  (With the alpine amp that would be 500 watts rms per sub.) 

"I have voiced my dissatisfaction with the eclipse before and see no need to do it again."  Can you please voice your dissatisfaction again please, I have only heard good things about the eclipse aluminum subs, and would like to hear some negative feedback. 

Also I am not limiting myself to online buying, there are a number of shops in my area ( Sacramento, CA), but I have yet to find one that can match the prices that I find on the internet.  The alpine F540 goes for 300 on ebay, while the m1000 goes for 375.  These amps are "brand new"  and for like half the prices that shops are quoting me.  The subs are also considerably cheaper, although you cant find diamond audio subs online with the exeption of used ones on ebay sometimes. 

The one thing that I really like more about the JL 4 channel amps is that there are separate gain controls for the front and rear channles, something the alpine f540 lack to my knowledge.  Does anyone have a link to a review of any of these amps.  Not reviews from people who have bought them but professional reviews, there the ones I'm having trouble finding.

thanks.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

Beware of "new" on eBay.  "New" is very often actually remanufactured or factory B stock (which means it was a factory reject that was reworked before it was shipped.)  While I have used remanufactured equipment in my life (and sold some, too) and can say that in general it works fine, underastand that you SHOULD pay 20% to 50% less for it over factory fresh 100% accepted products  (i.e.: NEW) and that the warranty for B-stock tends to be 90 days or less.

The Alpine MRV-F540 is an excellent amp and a good choice.  It of course has seperate front and rear gain controls, as any good quality 4-channel amp should have.  It also has a very nice built-in crossover.  At $300 that is definately a remanufactured price.  You most likely won't find a lisensed retailer able to meet that price (as it has no profit left in it) for a 100% new one.

If you can swing the Diamond TDX sub you will not be sorry.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendart where did you get your JL or Eclipse equipment from because you always seem to have the worst time with almost every product mentioned on this forum.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
Not at all, I have had good luck with a lot of product. I jsut have a big problem with JL amps because I installed some into CUSTOMERS vehicles and I wasnt super impressed with the bang for the buck factor. They sound good, I just found that the amount of amp they got for the amount of money they paid wasnt up to par. As for the eclipse equipment I stated before in a different tread that I have only heard one set of 15s and one single 12. The 15s were in a very nice fiberglassed install in a 98 camaro. It looked really good and the box was built well and to spec by a friend of mine who is extremly competent in these types of installs as he works for one of my compition and I have looked at his work before. My problem is that they didnt have near as much out put as what I thought they should. They each had a Pheniox gold Titanium 1200.1 to them and they were in a ported box but just didnt prefore as a sub of there quality and price should. The 12 was again quite decent but didnt live up to the price point it was in as  a MTX 8000 sounded just as good and had the same type of volume but was worth half as much. I dont think this product is garbage at all, I just think that it is overpriced.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic