icon

Diamond Audio TDX 12D4 Sealed Enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to design an enclosure for the Diamond Audio TDX 12D4.  I'm thinking sealed, but I'm not 100%.  I hate how ported enclosures always seem to have this peak frequency where they are way louder, I don't like the way it sounds.  But they are so much louder.  So I will ask a few things:

Does anyone know what the sealed volume should be for this sub?

Can Anyone attest to the SQ differences between sealed and ported with this sub?  And can you get a ported enclosure with a more mellow frequency curve, with less peak.

Is VB ft^3 a representation of enclosure volume? 

Whats a good shape for this box?  I was thinking a wide rectangle with the sub mounted at one end of it, and with the rear of the enclosure slanted. 

I want this sub to pound, but SQ is more important to me.  I would also like to get a

specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, didn't mean to spam

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
well considering this sub has a wide veriety of space for a sub box. there is a alot of choices you could do.
for a sealed enclouser you have a range of .55 - 2.50 cu ft. just for one sub. just remember the bigger the box you put it in, the more bass you'll have! so with that, you might want to build a box that is 2.50 cu ft.
how many subs are you gonna be running?
if there is 2 then you might want to build a box that is 5 cu ft. with seperate chambers for each sub.
if your building this box on your own...which i am assumeing that you are. just build it normally. rectangular, to fit your space that your putting it in.
another Q. r u putting this into a trunk or a hatch?
xTimx
specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  

1 sub, and it will be pulling 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms from an alpine m1000.  It's going into a 97 civic 4 door sedan.  Probably firing forward, with seats folded down pretty much always.  What kind of sq differences will i notice between a .55 and a 2.5 cubic ft. box?

Also why do you say just build a rectangular box?  I will have no problem constructing solid box with angles, let me worry about that, I'm wondering what box shape will give me the best performance. 

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  

You never want a flat wall behind your sub in a sealed box because it produces standing waves which arent good for sound quality. Also Bigger doesnt mean more, it means deeper. I would recomend building a box about 2 cubic feet and build it with that slant in the back, it doesnt have to be insane, just so long as its not strait. If you have the time and money, nothings better than trial and error. Build a couple boxes of different sizes then pick the one that sounds the best. If you are building your own than this shouldnt be much of a problem since a sheet of MDF is like 25 bucks. Build a box then try it for a couple days then try the next one. This is what I did in my car and it took me 6 boxes to get the desired sound and they were all 6 cubic feet and larger. On that note does anyone need a coffee table :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic