icon

Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer Question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pspadotto 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I knew it wasn't 800.  I actually had a friend of mine pick an amp up for me, because he said he "knew a guy..." and it turns out I got hosed in the end.  I was TRYING to make the most out of the, well, piece of buffalo flush, but I'm less and less inclined to use this particular amp the more we discuss it here.  My sub claims that it has an RMS wattage of 700 watts, and I've been trying to get as close to that as possible.  I actually have another amp that's rated for 560 watts RMS bridged that I'm probably going to use instead.  Do you think that that's not enough to drive the sub?  I have a feeling that I should buy a good mono amp and be done with it...but I paid enough for the garbage I already have.  8 (
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
560 watts should be plenty.  What's the amp?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

You can't push an amplifier past its limits.  It is rated at 2 ohm stereo...that is MAX, (although it will work more comfortably at a 4 ohm stereo impedence).  2 ohm stereo is equal to 4 ohm bridged mono.

A 2 ohm DVC subwoofer has 2 voice coils each rated at 2 ohm.  These two voice coils should be connected on the speaker itself.  You cannot  wire them in parallel,  because it will wind up as a 1 ohm load, which your amp will not drive. 

So you wire the two coils in series, and the result  will be a 4 ohm load which you can bridge onto your amp.  Just connect the + of one coil to the - of the other coil.  Then connect the other + to the subwoofer +connection on the jackplate...do the same with the other -.  That's a series connection.  The jackplate will then provide a + and a - for connection to the amp as a 4 ohm load.

The 4 ohm load onto the amp in a bridged configuration will make the amp work as hard as it is capable of working.  That is what you are trying to achieve.

You would be better off forgetting about y-cables in this case.  There is no need to over-complicate your install to try to tweak out some magic "extra" power.  Manufacturers derive the power ratings in some different ways.  But an amp has a definitive limit to the amount of power it can produce.

Don't go by numbers.  Just hook it up right and enjoy the sounds.

pspadotto 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
The sub is a Power Acoustik FUBR Series 1800-Watt 12" 2 Ohm DVC.  The company rates the RMS on the sub as 700.  I'm hoping it'll give my little ford focus some personality.  Sure can't hurt, that's for sure.  Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer Question - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
pspadotto 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
The second amp I have is a Power Accoustic LT Series 980 Watt 2-Channel Amp.  Says it'll run 280 Watts RMS per channel at 2 ohms, and 560 bridged.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
I'd run the PA amp before I ran a Visonic.  The Visonic X-series seems to be pretty good, but unfortunatly that's not what you have.  Be sure to wire the sub at 4-ohms when you conenct it to the bridged amp.
pspadotto 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
LOL...yeah...I don't think I'm going to let my friend do my shopping for me anymore.  Ok, so, I'm going to go with the PA amp, and I already have the sub in a box and it's wired for 4 ohm.  Thanks for all the input!  It's been very helpful!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic