icon

2003 grand am remote trunk release

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hihosilver 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a 2003 Grand Am that has remote keyless entry with alarm. In the owners manual the remote shows a trunk release button, but my remote has an Onstar button in its place. The car is not equipped with Onstar. It is equipped with an electric trunk release button located on drivers door panel. I asked the salesman about and he said that was the correct remote. Any help would be great. If this is the correct remote, is there an after market one I can purchase.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Is the keyless/entry alarm a factory unit or aftermarket? I've never seen an onstar button on any factory remote (the button actually says onstar?). Either way I can't imagine why it doesn't have the trunk release included on the remote whether it's factory or not. All the factory ones I've seen have it and all the aftermarket ones I install I hook it up it's a simple negative tap in circuit in the drivers kick panel. I would definately try to figure out if it's a factory unit or aftermarket unit. If it's aftermarket, that trunk release should be hooked up no excuses so I'd bitch about it until it gets hooked up.
A couple ways to check this are to look at the remote for any company name, see where the LED for the alarm is mounted, look under the dash for a disarm button or any out of place wiring etc.. Or post a picture of the remote I'm sure we can tell you. Good luck,
Mike
hihosilver 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2004 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
There's not a problem with the trunk release, it works great. The problem is the remote, it doesn't have the trunk release button. I guess my question is, could they have lost the original remote and programmed a different one from another vehicle? A vehicle with Onstar? BTW it doesn't say Onstar it's a blue button with a white star in it.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 6:13 AM / IP Logged  
Ok in that case it definately sounds like an aftermarket system so following the info in your factory manual won't do you any good. By the way that's not an onstar button, it's for a remote start or auxilary channel. Try pushing and holding the unlock button on the remote for 5 seconds see if the car responds any differently. Then try holding that blue button for 5 seconds and see if the car responds.. It may be that the trunk release IS hooked up you just don't know how to activate it from the remote. Good luck,
Mike

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic