icon

No fuse for power wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  

I got a question. I have a friend who I grew up with and started installing with who was talking about not using a in line fuse on his 12v power wire. I don’t remember exactly what was said but has anyone else heard of this? If you were to go into a stereo store and get a amp kit it would come with a fuse. Car audio shops sell them like mad.

I guess my question is what are the side effects if a inline fuse is not used?

casey

casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  

UH, what happened there.

Ok, here it is in simple form.

What are the ill effects of not having a in line fuse for power to your amp?

ivant2 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
The fuse/breaker will sometimes stop the amp from becoming a paperweight.
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
well wouldnt the fuses on the amp blow before it fried the amp?
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
and by sand do you mean iraq? you in teh military? if so what branch?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 3:53 AM / IP Logged  
OK, picture this, you are working under your hood and you accidently arc out your battery, all the sudden you blew every fuse in your fuse box and made the amp go smoky smoky all because you didnt install the inline fuse that came with the kit. Second senario, you are wailing the sh*t outta your stereo and you push your amp past its limits and for whatever reason, the fuse in your amp doesnt blow, chalk it up to a malfunction cause it happens more than you would probally think. Anyways you push the amp and instead of blowing the inline fuse because you are pulling to much power through the line, your amp just keeps on taking power till it cant handle anymore and decide to fill your car with smoke while driving down the highway at 130 kph. Smoke blocks your view of the road and before you can pull over you drift into the other lane and hit Billy Bobs pig transporting, 18 wheeler and your dead, all because you had no fuse. Third senario, your amp craps out because its sick of life and just wants it to end. Lets say the amp all the sudden decides that shorting out and grounding the power wire would be a good idea, battery blows up and now you have acid all over your motor and wires under the hood as well as possibly having carpet burnt from the wire melting. Not very pretty huh. Last one, lets say that the power wire on your amp wasnt done up tight and it comes loose. Lets also say that that is like a 4 gauge wire. Wire comes out and grounds itself out on the body of the car. Blows battery up and changes your entire electrical system into a big melted ball of rubber coating and sh*tty wire. Now you have a 2300 pound paper wieght that used to be your car. All this happened because there was no fuse inline. What a shame.  These are obviously the worst case senarios and I have never actually heard of anyone dying like in the second senario, but hey, it could happen.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
westend 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  
A fire started from the hot, shorted power wire is much more likely.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

to answer your question in a more lucid manner, it's usually a case of insurable liability....  in our province (state) every direct connection to the battery MUST be fused within 12 inches of the battery or your vehicle is not insured.... if you hook up an amp or fog lights, etc directly to the battery and the wire shorts it will almost invariably start a fire

most insurance companies will insure again a potential mishap, not gross stupidity..........

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
This answers my question. The fuse is not a must, but definately is a plus. Fires are bad, at least in vehicles they are.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic