icon

trouble

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaason2004 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
ok i just bought a new memphis amp it was $300 and i have a 15" memphis sub, it works all fine on friday and it just shut off late friday night, i thought a wire came off and when i checked the fuses were blown, i turn the amp all the way down and i can only turn it up a 1/4 way and it goes into protect and the sub stops working, i hooked the amp up to my friends car, and his sub works fine with the amp, then i tried my sub and my amp in his car and the sub still don't work right and the amp still goes into protect when i try turning it up, the place where i bought it was trying to tell me it was my wiring, and they want me to  pay them $50 to check my wiring when i kno its the sub, don't you think its the sub too?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
You are turning the amp gain like a volume knob!  What is the impedence of the sub?  Did you buy amp and sub new or used?  Expect to pay $50 if you want something checked out.  Also post models of the amp and sub.  And did you install?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jaason2004 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

i installed myself, i can post the models tomorrow because i forget off hand, but the point is theres nothing wrong wtih my wiring, and the amp and my friends memphis sub works fine in my car and my amp and his sub works fine in his car, but as soon as i hook my 15" sub up it doesn't work right, so it has to be the sub. I just have to prove to them that the sub is junk now and i get a free one right over the counter

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2004 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
At least you're dealing with a store you can go back to.  Post up the info tomorrow, then.  Will want to know sub impedence, wiring used, enclosure size, ....but why can't you just walk back in there with the sub uninstalled, set it on the counter and tell them it has a problem?  They can hook it up right there in the store.  No charge for that.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like you have an improper ohm load going to the amp! 
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
the sub has blown....if the sub doesn't work on either amp then its most likely a blown voice coil. or it could be a low impedence on the amp check that the impedence at the amp is something the amp can handle.
Quad L Handyman services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic