99 Toyota camry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sach_deva 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2002 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

Hi!,

I had a question involving the install of a Kenwood KDC X811 in a 99 camry.  I have notice that the stock deck opening is a bit smaller, than the single din sized kenwood.  Would I need a kit? Secondly, how would I remove the stock deck?

Thanks,

msmollin2001 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2002 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

If the camry uses the standard 2 inch opening that most Eastern automakers do, then I do not see the need for a kit. The place from which you purchased the kenwood should be able to answer ur questions. To remove the stock deck, I would do a search on crutchfield.com or ask one of their techs. They have alot of information on hand about removing dashes for receivers and such. I got an excellent manual on speaker removal and installation, and receiver installation, for my '02 Elantra. Good luck with it, and keep posting.

-Matt

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2002 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

The black trim around the radio, vents, climate controls, and ashtray just pulls off.  (Slide the ashtray out first.)  Behind that, four 10mm bolts and the radio/pocket/bracket set comes out.  Four 8mm bolts and the radio comes out of the brackets.  (The 8mm bolts also have Philips slots on them, but they usually strip out easily if you try using a screwdriver.)

The Kenwood will have many screw holes on its sides, and some of those will match up with the Camry's metal brackets.  You may use the original Camry screws, or the new ones that come with the Kenwood.

Tips:  The Kenwood's plastic trim ring and metal mounting sleeve aren't used.  (Save them in case you change cars.)  You're supposed to install the radio so that, without the faceplate, it lines up perfectly with the Toyota pocket underneath.  Then when you attach the faceplate, it sticks out and looks like ass.....but this is  the way the sloppy aftermarket manufacturers think it should be.  If you're in a crafty mood, drill new holes in the Toyota brackets and move the radio back some......just don't go so far that you'll have trouble popping the faceplate off.

You'll notice that the Toyota pocket has two little tabs sticking up that keep the factory radio lined up.....cut these off for a better fit with the aftermarket radio.

Don't forget to get your Toyota wire harness adapter.  If your car has separate door tweeters, there is also a factory amplifier present....but bypassing it is easy.  Reach into the far right rear of the radio cavity; there are two sets of plugs there.  Separate both of them, pull the male ends outward, and they'll plug right into the Toyota adapter as usual.

sach_deva 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2002 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks chris
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 10, 2002 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
You're welcome.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.