Astrostart newbie question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Backlund 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Guys-

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.  I am looking at having an astrostart (or similar item) installed in my wife's vehicles for christmas.  I have access to a wholesale warehouse that I can purchase the equipment from, but I have no idea what I need to buy.  I have a guy lined up to install it, but he won't tell me what to buy because he wants me to buy it from him.  I would obviously rather purchase the equipment at wholesale, and pay him the labor to install it!  Anyway, any help you can provide me in what I need is really appreciated!  The system will be for a 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 door automatic.  The vehicle does NOT have power windows or locks in it.  Let me know if you need any other info.  TIA!!

halfrican 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
AstroFlex makes several models, major differences have to do with range.
If you don't care about locks and windows, then the 803 model might work for you. However, it has rather limited range (1000ft). Please keep in mind that the range quotes are line of site, so if the car is in a parking lot full of cars it will be less than quoted. The 1105 gives you an extra 500ft of range, but now your paying for the option to control locks even though you won't be using them.
If you want two-way funtions (the ability to know that the vehicle has started) then you will have to step up to the 2205 or 4204.
check out astroflex's website for full descriptions of the models available. (www.astroflex.com)
You might want to re-evaluate how much money you will actually save by buying the "parts" wholesale. You will be giving up the lifetime warranty on the parts and likely the installation in the interest of saving a "few bucks."    
Backlund 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, I should refrain this.  What I mean by what I need to buy is whether I need passlock's, relays, etc.  Thanks again!
halfrican 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry for misunderstanding your question.

You will need a passlock bypass kit, such as the GMBP from trilogix ( www.bypasskit.com).

All of the other items necessary should be with the kit, as far as I know.

Hope this helps.

Backlund 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Is it my understanding that relays are only required for optional installations?  From what I saw it seems like a relay was necessary for adding support for the trunk release on the unit, or to keep the starter from grinding if you push the button while the vehicle is running.  Is this correct?  Thanks again!
halfrican 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

Backlund wrote:
Is it my understanding that relays are only required for optional installations?  From what I saw it seems like a relay was necessary for adding support for the trunk release on the unit, or to keep the starter from grinding if you push the button while the vehicle is running.  Is this correct?  Thanks again!

You are correct, the trunk release typically calls for a relay, as does activation of rear-defrost, and YES I am quite sure that you do need a relay for the anti-grind/starter-interupt circuit.  Bosch relays should be readily available just about anywhere.  So even if you don't order one ahead of time you shouldn't have a hard time finding one if necessary.

Good Luck

PS if it is within your budget try the AstroStart 2205, it's the one I just had put in my vehicle!  It is nice cause you get the 2000ft range, two-way communication, and option to add an alarm later if you wish.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic