icon

Hood Scoops

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gt2000 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

I want to get a new hood but don't have the money too.  So I was looking into possibly just getting the scoops and modding and molding them to the hood.  Because scoops that are just stuck on with the 3m tape are tacky.  The scoops would be fiberglass and the hood is obviously metal.  I'm no expert at any of this but know a few body men and such that would help me out. 

I still wouldn't plan on doing this for a while but I want to get all my research done and practice before I even think about doing the hood.  I heard some stuff about an epoxy called chemweld and a few others and read alot of other stuff about the project.  Any help or input would be appreciated.

And sorry if this shouldn't be posted here.  I know its not interior but I figured since its fiberglass somebody here might be able to help.  Thanks.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

you should get the stick on super charger!!  I saw it on e-bay, , , and mold that baby to your roof!

Naww...umm, , you should look into gettin a hood from a junk yard for like $50 and hack that baby up see how it looks before you tinker with your good hood.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
yea...thats what i did with mine...although mine is steel.  cost me i think 60 bucks...i cut a bit of the support bracing out, but just a small piece that goes down the middle...u dont want to be hacking away all the bracing.
gt2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I knew the basics...and the reason I want to actually mold it on and make it functional is because stuff like hood scoops and stick on scoops I think are tacky.  I know I'll like how it will look cause I've seen other cars with the same thing done to them of the same model.  But getting one from the junkyard to mess with does sound like a good idea.
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
I'd say buy one of those stick on scoops and make a reverse mold of it and then build up a decent amount of layers on the inside. Then you can FG that to the hood (after you remove the paint) because FG + metal = sweet bond. Then you can mold it and make it smooth with some bondo or some other kinda body filler and then take it to a paint shop.
getting it painted will probably be the most expensive
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm, yea...thats a good idea too.  If u can find a stick on scoop that u like then go for it, not sure how much they run though, but they shouldnt be tooo expensive.
gt2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Actually I paint myself.  As for the scoop, the one I'm looking at is the warbird style from the ws6 trans am.  I have a grand am and it looks great on them.  Yeah I know a grand am right?  Butit ti give me...give it time.. =P
gt2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

I just don't have much experience with fiberglassing or projects like this so I wanted to get all my reseach and stuff done before I even start on a practice one. 

But I figure $800 for a new hood vs. $200 to do it myself.  Its at least worth a shot.

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah and if you get it right you get to say you built it yourself. Hood Scoops - Last Post -- posted image.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
placid warrior 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
hey gt2000....nothin wrong with a grand am.  heck, I got a mercury monarch, did it up a bit, now all i get are compliments....took a while to get to that stage so keep on rollin.   I left some flaws on my hood scoop on purpose *wink *wink....it lets people know that i did it myself without having to tell them....this way people know I'm telling the truth, lol.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic