Headunits and Amps: Working Together

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tsd911 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all,

I just had a question about whether or not Headunits and amps could run speakers together.

Ie, I have, say, 4 speakers (2 front, 2 rear) and a sub.  I want to run the front and sub from my amp, but for the sake of Rear Fill, would like to run my Rear speakers off the head unit (with a wattage limiter devicey installed, so as not to destroy my speakers).

My headunit has a switchable "Sub Out/Rear Out" connection. So I'm assuming that if I switch it to sub out, the headunit will still let me use its standard speaker level connections to power my rear speakers.

Is this possible?  I know alot of people will advise against running 2 speakers off the head unit if everything else is on amp, but its just a semi-hypothetical question.

Thanks

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct in your guesses so far.  There is nothing wrong with what you want to do at all. Here is the only incorrect part of your post. "with a wattage limiter devicey installed, so as not to destroy my speakers)." There is no such thing as a wattage limiter thingy (if there were I'd make one and name it after you).  What you need is a frequency limiting device called a high pass crossover. A set of 200 - 499uf caps wired into the positive speaker lead of each rear speaker will help you out with this. The switchable output is for the preamp section and not the internal amp section, so you are good to go dude.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tsd911 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

Haha, fair enough.

Naturally I'd also planned to use a HPF. But i read on... perhaps it was CrutchfieldAdvisor.com or another forum, that you could buy something that limits the power that will go through to a speaker.  So, for example, I could install one and limit my rear speakers to 20W input.

I just assumed it was some form of variable resister.

But thanks for your help! it's much appreciated.

P.S. Patent Pending on "wattage limiter devicey" Headunits and Amps: Working Together - Last Post -- posted image.

tsd911 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

..Just to take some of your advice. If I want to limit my rear speakers to frequencies above 80Hz (the subwoofer LPF is set to 80) than wot combination/wiring would i require to make the crossover?

Thanks

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
More important that the hpf setting of the crossover is the size of the speaker in the rear. If you have say a 6x9" speaker that may be great, but with a 4" it is probably way too low. A 200uf non-polar mylar cap on the + speaker lead should do the trick. If the speaker is in the same cavity as the sub, get a speaker baffle made by XTC (foam hats) or American International (hard palstic hats) to cover the bottom side of the speaker and keep the subs ouput from causing the cones to move (thus causing distortion).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tsd911 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, you're good! it is, in fact, a 6*9.  I'm reluctant to retire the 6*9s coz they do a great job even without the amp.

OK, so I shall baffle and crossover as you describe.  Thanks for your help and patience.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic