icon

Strange DV 4100 Woes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maallen40 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 5:27 AM / IP Logged  

Morning guys, I just installed Kenwoods Double Din DX 7015 in my dash and the Nav DV 4100 in my trunk. The install went well. The problem I am having is that the Nav will plot my route just fine, but it won't give me the turn prompts, verbally, or on the screen. When I reach my intended destination, it will tell me I have arrived. Weird. ( Ive checked all the options and preferences but can't figure this one out. Any help out there?

Oh, and another question. I did not hook up the VSS wire. Most people I have talked to have mixed opinions. Most say it's not needed with this unit.  And I don't think not having it hooked up is part of my problem, but I could be wrong.

Anyway....Thanks guys.

maallen40

supersquirrel0 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
I have the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same setup. At first, I thought it was because I grounded the parking brake wire for the navigation system. I went back in and fixed that, and I still have the same results. The route gets plotted, but no verbal prompts nor guidance screen. I plan on giving Kenwood a call tomorrow. If I find out anything I'll post again. Has anybody else had this problem?
maallen40 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  

Me too, I'm going to call Kenwood at 9am.

Its a Darn nice unit though, I can't wait to get it working 100% so I can play with it. LOL

I'll let you know also what I find out from Kenwood.

Michael

maallen40 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=supersquirrel0]I have the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same setup. At first, I thought it was because I grounded the parking brake wire for the navigation system. I went back in and fixed that, and I still have the same results. The route gets plotted, but no verbal prompts nor guidance screen. I plan on giving Kenwood a call tomorrow. If I find out anything I'll post again. Has anybody else had this problem?[/QUOTE

Well I just got of the phone with Kenwood Canada. Turns out that although other Nav units from other makers can work without the VSS wire connected, ours won't. So if you say you have the exact problem has mine......then it's not a problem anymore if you connect that VSS wire to your VSS.

Good luck, I'm going to connect mine at lunch time, based on where it is in my Saab, it shouldn't take me more than 10 mins.

Let me know whats going on.

Later

supersquirrel0 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
Hello All,
Yep, I've confirmed it. Apparently its the VSS wire that causing the issue. The tech told me that if I can't find the wire coming from the sensor itself, then a company called Rostra makes an aftermarket speed pulse generator that performs the same function. The wire can also be connected to that aftermarket part. Thanks everybody for your help!
maallen40 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

[Hey there...I hooked up the VSS this afternoon at lunch...and Im happy to say it works fine.

Hope all goes well with yours.

Michael

QUOTE=supersquirrel0]Hello All,

Yep, I've confirmed it. Apparently its the VSS wire that causing the issue. The tech told me that if I can't find the wire coming from the sensor itself, then a company called Rostra makes an aftermarket speed pulse generator that performs the same function. The wire can also be connected to that aftermarket part. Thanks everybody for your help![/QUOTE]

thx2249 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
Do you guys like that navigation system? I've been looking at it and trying to get more comments on it. To be honest, the Kenwoodusa site really doesn't have much information on it. They didn't even have the manual to download and it doesn't look like they update the site too often.
Does the system re-route quick?
Are the maps pretty accurate?
supersquirrel0 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2005 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
I am happy to report that all went well with the VSS wire.   I actually had to go through the firewall at attach directly to the VSS, as I couldn't find the right wire coming into the ECM for my car (2001 Nissan Altima). After testing it some yesterday and this morning on the way to work, I'm pretty pleased with the system. The reroute is pretty quick, and the maps seem pretty accurate, with plenty of saved points like restaurants, gas stations, etc. I really wont have a chance to put it through its paces in unfamiliar territory until the end of the month, but I am more than satisfied at this point. I was using a Garmin GPS V before this, so the voice prompting is very nice. The onlything I wish the Kenwood system did was display your current speed graphically on the map, not just via the car signal screen. I'll have to play with it some more to see if it does that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic