Which relay do I need?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
centrek 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

Here's what i'm doing...

I have 3 amps, all of which need +12v remote wire.  I'm also running a computer, but i'm going to wire it in so that the key has to be on in order for the computer to run.  Heck, i guess i'll make it so that the stereo has to be on for the computer to turn on.  So I need a relay to run the remote wire from the stereo in to, and then out of the relay I need 1 +12v to each of the three amps, and 1 +12v to the computer.  I no nothing about how much current you can pass through relays and that kind of stuff, But I think that a relay is the best bet for what i'm looking to do.  I have a +12v distribution block with four outputs, they are all fused as well.  The first three are for the three amps, and the 4th I plan to go to the relay, and then jump off from there to each of the three amps' remote and the computer power.  Let me know how this sounds

If any of you could help me find the right relay and where to purchase it, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

matt

hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
Just go down to the Autoparts Store and get a Fog Lamp Relay with the harness eor less than $10. It will do the Job just fine.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
whered you get a power supply for the computer, or are you using a inverter.
~~Vinn
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
whered you get a power supply for the computer, or are you using a inverter.
~~Vinn
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Some Laptops have a 12v adaptor that just plugs in the Cigarette lighter like a Cell phone adaptor. It charges the Batteries.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
centrek 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

great, thanks for the relay information...ill have to see how much my cost is on that relay at NAPA

anyways, about the computer:  i'm not using a laptop, it's a mini-itx computer...VIA is the motherboard manufacturer...they are really slick little units, as small as 12cmx12cm   tiny footprint.  But you can get all kinds of different power supplies..OPUS makes 120 and 150w powersupplies with startup and shutdown controllers for these mini-itx computers.

check out www.mp3car.com  lots of good information over there about setting your car up with a computer

thanks again guys

matt

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic