Running 4 Neons from Cigarette Lighter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrxclnc 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I am going to be hooking four 10" neon lights to the cigarette lighter in my car.  Will this blow the fuse?  Also, I am going to be using those switches that have the protective cover on them with the LED light.   Can anyone provide a simple diagram (without electrical symbols which us normal people cant understand) on the actual wiring of these neons?

hugity 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I'd be careful doing that.  someone i know hooked up 4 neons to the same cigarette lighter, and they only worked for about 10 seconds and then they went dead.  the lights never worked again.  if you could somehow split it up (like if you have 2 separate cigarette lighters) try doing it that way, but i wouldn't run them all from the same cig lighter.
mrxclnc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so splicing 4 neon tubes into the Cigarette lighter is not a good idea.  I have sketched up something different using a relay switch.  I have attached my rudimentary sketch.  That black box with the numbers 87,85,86,30 is the relay switch.  Can someone take a look at this and gime me your comments and suggestions. What amp fuse should I use?  And more importantly, will this even work?
Running 4 Neons from Cigarette Lighter - Last Post -- posted image.
mrxclnc 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I installed my neons as shown in the diagram above but now i have a funny problem.  The first problem is that every now and then, I hear a pop in the rear driver's side speaker.  But this is something I can deal with.  The second, more annoying, problem is that a pair of my neons keeps going out.  Its not the actual neons that die, its the inverter that gets fried.  As you can see in the diagram, I had made a little box to plug all my neons into.  I later found out that each inverter can support two neons, so basically, two of those connections are of no use on the project box.  Anyhow, I checked all 4 sets of connections on the project box with a multimeter and they all were outputting 12v.  I have one wire that goes to an inverter located behind the center console, which then powers the two neons under the front dash.  The other wire , from the project box, goes to an inverter located under the center arm rest, which then powers the pair of neosn under the the driver and passenger seats.  These are the neons that have gone out twice because the inverter got fried.  I opened the inverter up and looked at it...some of the little things that look like transformers were burned or maybe melted.  Does anyone have any idea as to why this would happen only to the neons in the back even though they are powered from the same location??  I can't keep spending money on new neons, I have one more inverter left and I dont wanna use it until i can fix the problem.
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

hrmm how are your neon tubes connected to each transformer. There is a big difference between Parallel and series wiring. If you wire them up wrong it will draw too much current and burn up the transformer. Most units are wired in series. Take an underbody kit from Street Glow for example. You start at the transformer and run to the first neon. The next tube is then connected to the end of the first and so on until you reach the fourth tube. The end of the fourth tube is then connected to the otherside of the transformer completing the circut. With systems that plug into your cigarette lighter the transformer is  built into the bulb. Then there is yet another type. Intierior with a transformer that powers two tubes wired apart . The transformer is designed to power only 1 tube per output of the transformer. If you try to connect 2 tubes to one side of the transformer you can blow it. Hope this helps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic