HID - Tacoma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thecrackermac 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all!
I am having some trouble trying to figure out a way to properly wire my Hella Xenon lights and also a set of Hella Fog's.
I have a 1998 Tacoma which has H4 bulbs (High and Low beam in one) , after the xenon setup you loose high beam and have just the single xenon beam, I wired the lights up using a relay (I was told NOT to use the factory wiiring for these as a relay is a much better and safer method) I got the meter out and found the headlamp wire from the switch is RED / white but is a GROUND trigger, So basically I wired the relay as follows:
30 - Battery fused 30amp
85 - 12v acc lead
86 - ground trigger from switch
87 - output to my control unit for the lights.
This setup works fine, and it even doesn't drop the xenons off when you go to high beam on the switch.. PERFECT
My question is this do I need any sort of a diode or anything to prevent any backfeed problem?
Second I want to wire up my fog lamps on the HIGH beam circuit. But there is only one trigger wire for the lights at the switch, how do I go about this? I don't want a dash mounted switch to operate fogs.
Anyone?
Thanks in advance!
-mac
thecrackermac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
I do a have the wiring diagram in PDF format but unable to upload it, it is currently 34k can't make it any smaller and there is a limit of 30k here.
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2005 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
1- A diode should not be needed
2- You would need to rewire the switch. Fog lights shold not be used with high beams, and the factory wiring should reflect this. I don't know the factory harness so I really can't tell you the hows and wheres of this.
My opinion- If you are just retro fitting into existing headlamp assemblies you are wasting your money. They may appear brighter to you, but that will mostly be ;light noise'. The optics of the headlamp assembly are set up for a straight filament, and you are replaceing that with a curved arc. The focal point will not be correct and therefore your output will be blurry for a lack of better terms.
If you want to keep this setup, what I would do is get another set of H4 lamps and mount them in dune buggy type housings
thecrackermac 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2005 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for the reply.
I am not running OEM headlamp assemblies. They are Xenon assemblies with fantasic beams. So that isn't an issue.
The wiring shouldn't be an problem either. I am NOT using the factory wiring to carry out the task. I am simply wanting to use the factory SWITCH is all. I want to be able to use the high beam circuit off the switch so I get an indicater in the dash reminding me they are on. I lost the high beam function anyway and thought it would make for a clean install.
If anyone has some more input / help please let me know. Like I stated before I do have the factory diagram in PDF or JPG format if anyone is interested in helping me out.
Thanks
-Mac

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic