icon

subwoofer options

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangadam 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

I have a '68 mustang with a relatively small trunk (~ 8 cu.ft.) and I have a very specific location where I can mount subwoofer(s).  There are two options: three 8" subs or one 10" sub, due to the height requirements of my chosen location.

I was considering using 3 JL8w3v2 subs with a JL 500/1 sub amp.  I am pretty sure I want to stick with that amp, but I am rethinking my decision regarding the subwoofers.  I desire SQ above all, but would love it if my system could pound when I wanted.  So, now I am thinking about only one 10" sub.  I have three in mind: Polk MM100, Infinity Kappa Perfect 10", and JL 10w6v2 (can't use the 10w7 due to dimension requirements, else this would be no contest).

My question: will I get better SQ with one of those 10" subs than with the three JL 8w3v2 subs?  If so which sub?  Also, how close in comparison is the SPL of the chosen 10" sub to the SPL of the three JL 8s?  I will be using the JL 500/1 amp for whichever setup I use, so please keep that in mind.

Thank you for reading and any comments.

Adam Donald Flournoy
Boeing Commercial Airplanes
7E7 "Dreamliner" Project
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  

Think of it like this, 10inches of moving mass or 24 inches of moving mass.

I would go with the 3 8"JL's.  

Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
mustangadam 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I understand I won't get quite the SPL, but what about the rest of it?  What do you think about SQ and which of the 10s do you like the best?

Adam Donald Flournoy
7E7 "Dreamliner" Project
Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
JL baby!!!!!!!
Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
mustangadam 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

anybody else want to comment?

Adam Donald Flournoy
7E7 "Dreamliner" Project
Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  

I know that there is many JL lovers in here.

Come on out, show yourselves.subwoofer options - Last Post -- posted image.

Sound Pressure
Derrik 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  

JL W6v2 is the best out of 3 that you listed. I've heard the Infinity and it suxs (in my opinion).  With the correct enclosure and the JL 500/1, you can't go wrong.

Also, you got room for 3 8's but you dont have room for 2 10's? ..I dont think 3 8's would produce very deep of the sound like bigger subs. Again, depends on your taste i guess.

Sound Pressure 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  

There we go.

You would be surprised that 3 JL 8's could sound like two powerful 12's or one good 15. I've heard one 8 inside a viper and it sounded like it had 2 10's. For sq I would do the 3 8's inside of a sealed box.

Sound Pressure
mustangadam 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys I appreciate all the input.  I'll let you know what I plan to do.

Adam Donald Flournoy
7E7 "Dreamliner" Project
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

Also, depending on what kind of music you listen to will be affected by the woofer size. Multiple woofers don't have to work as hard as a single woofer to pump the same amount of air (after all, a woofer is merely nothing but an air pump.) A mentioned above, the surface area is increased with multiple woofers, therefore more air is pumped. The next advantage of having smaller, multiple woofers is that technicall speaking, your bass response will be more accurate with smaller woofers as oppsosed to bigger ones, simply because less energy is needed to move a smaller mass as opposed to a bigger one. A smaller woofer reacts quicker....

Smaller multiple woofers, in identical enclosures, will outperform a single larger woofer. The bass is tighter and more realistic, the snap of the hammer hitting the bass drum will be more profound, and the snappy twang of the bass guitar string will come through, allowing you to experience the music the way the artist intended it to be.

Clean tools = Clean work!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic