icon

another problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
loudnlow 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

about a month ago i installed a remote start on a 2001 jeep grand cherokee and  finally got it working.  now it is having problems,  when using the remote start it doesnt always start and stay running on the first try,  and i am using the tach signal on it.   also, the key will no longer start it, everytime i put the key in to start it, it will not stay running.  please let me know if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it....thanx.

Brad

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  
Post more information: What type of stater?  is it an Alarm too? Gray Key?
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
loudnlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

It is a carbine pl70 remote starter with no alarm, i also used the carbine rs-tim transponder interface module, it uses the gray key that has to be put inside the module for it to work.

Brad

securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
loudnlow where are you located i do jeeps all day long maybe i can help post what wires are connected where.
jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

It sounds like you have a bad starter unit that is keeping your (-) out when running wire on sporadically.  This would cause your trnsponder bypass module to show a key in the ignition and thus show two in the ignition when you put your key in.  It would also flip an anti-grind relay, but the transponder key issue would come before that.  It is hard to say without testing it.  It is always good to test the car and figure out exactly what is happening. When it actually starts, when it doesn't, and how often and consistent things happen. 

If the car wont start withg the key, and wont stay running with the remote starter, How are you getting around ?

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
loudnlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

the jeep does stay running with the remote start, it doesnt stay running with the key, it just starts and shuts down when using the key. i'll have to check it out later,  i dont have the vehicle with me right now.

securinu,  i live in oklahoma 

jrilla 
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Take a look at your anti-theft light when you try to start it with your key, and compare it to what the light does when remote started, it sounds like the remote starter is not shutting off the bypass module and the car is seeing two keys in the ignition when you try to use the key.  If nothing sticks out as being wrong, try unplugging the remote starter and then use the key, if it works then your bypass module is not being turned off.  How did you wire it?

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
loudnlow 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

as far as the main remote start module goes, i believe it is wired as it should be, all the constant, ignition, and accesory wires are goin to the right wires, and the transponder interface just plugs directly into the main module and it has the wire coming out of the interface that wraps around the ignition.

unfortunately, i dont have the vehicle here right now to try unplugging it to see if it would then start with the key.

jrilla 
Posted: December 17, 2002 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

What i meant by wiring was basically was did you use your ground out when running wire to trigger the bypass module? There should be a 12v+ constant wire and a wire that needs ground to power the bypass module.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic