icon

2001 Dakota door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kkjkearney 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
I've installed a remote starter in my Dakota, but I'm having trouble getting the door locks to work properly. I have the Audiovox APS55TW unit pulsing to ground through the proper resistors. When I hook up the lock and unlock wires individually, they work great. When they're both hooked up, only unlock works but has the opposite effect (locks). In all cases I can hear the APS55TW solenoids working as they should. My truck has keyless enty only, no alarm.
k. kearney
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
You have the LOCK wire going to a 820 ohm Resistor & the other end of that Resistor going to the WHITE / Green wire?
Then you have the UNLock wire going to 330 ohm Resistor & the other end of that Resistor going to the WHITE / Green wire?
The LOCK & UNLock wires are NOT tied together before the Resistors?
Also, does the Audiovox have ON-Board Relays for Door Locks?
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
kkjkearney 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, yes and yes. I measured the current draw of the lock and unlock circuits and they were both well below the 300mA limit of the Audiovox lock/unlock circuit so I didn't use external relays.
Individually they work fine. When I have both wires connected, the unlock solenoid locks, indicating that the total resistance is closer to 820 than the 330 I'd expect. The lock solenoid has no effect, indicating that the total resistance is higher than 820.
My resistance values are pretty accurate (329 and 817) and my connections are soldered.
k. kearney
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  

If you supply direct Ground to each Resistor ( one at a time ) ....Do both work?

If so, you may need to use Relays for a stronger GROUND

MO
kkjkearney 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, both work when individually touched to ground.
However, both work when individually wired properly. It's when I wire both that I have this effect.
k. kearney
mo12v 
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the Audiovox does NOT have On-Board Relays for Door Locks, unless you do not have the Door Lock GROUND hooked up ( I'm just guessing , I have not seen the 55TW )
If it does not supply a direct ground via On-Board Relays & is just supplying 250- 350ma outputs then you probably should use Relays.  You might look in your Manual & see if it mentions that
MO
kkjkearney 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
I'll buy a set and try it out tomorrow.
Thanks
k. kearney
jmr964 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Did you get it working with the relays?  I would concur that is your problem.  May want to considering using a DEI door lock kit.  I think the part is 458M if memory serves me right but it has been awhile.

Jason

kkjkearney 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it worked. The curent draw was within Audiovox's 300mA limit, but apparently something strange happens because the ground pulse is electronic and not a quality pulse to ground through a relay. I also had to increase the pulse from 1 second to 3.5 seconds to make it work reliably.
Thanks for your help.
k. kearney
jmr964 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

I also saw you questioning how to hook up an output the the defrost.  If I were you I would get a factory service manual for the vehicle.  Lots of useful information in them.  I looked on ebay and see a seller is selling CD factory service manuals for the 01 for less than $20 shipped. Get one.

Jason

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic