icon

radar detector

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
msf145 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

i am trying  to hard wire my radar detector into my ignition wire. so when i turn the car on the radar dector comes on. i dont want tomess up. could anyone tell me how to do this. do i need a relay or anything.  also whats the worse that could go wonrg if i mess up.

brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2003 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
All you need to do is to find the ignition wire in your vehicle.  Or you can plug somthing up in the 12 volt outlet and start the car. Did it come on? If it did then the 12 volt outlet is switched already.  Just tie the wires from you radar detector into the wires on the back of your 12 volt outlet. If it comes on with the ignition off your outlet is not switched.  hook the red wire to the ignition wire in your vehicle and run the other wire straight to ground. Dont forget toi fuse the 12 volt wire with the same size fuse that was in the detectors 12 volt plug. That should fix you up.  Brian
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2003 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a Whistler radar detector, there is a White wire and a Red wire in the factory power cable. The White is positive and the Red is ground. Before you make any connections, use your meter to verify the correct polarity of each lead in your radar detector's power harness and the leads you tie into in your vehicle.
msf145 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2003 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

thank you for your help. one more question though. do i splice into the ignition wire at the end of my sterring column? it jsut seems hard to get at. i know thats a dumb question but im knew at this.

thanx alot.

brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2003 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
There is probably a connector on the ignition wires that will unplug to let you get at it better.  Brian
msf145 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2003 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
thanx. i will try that.
KBToys 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 6:20 AM / IP Logged  
If you don't want to splice you could buy those add a fuse holder that has a wire coming out. Most auto stores carry this.
msf145 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2003 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
are those called fuse taps?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic