Ohms and Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dem622 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hey all,

My subs say that they have dual 4 ohm voice coils...so would that mean that the total ohms of each sub would be 8?  If so, then by using the calculator the lowest ohms I could go using either parrallel wiring or by bridging the amp would be 4 ohms?  I'm just trying to figure out how all this works, so I would greatly appreciate any help you could give.

Dennis

P.S. I'm not sure if this matters in the context of the question but I am using:

(2) 12" Memphis Power Reference Subwoofers (DVC) 200 watts RMS/400 Watts Max

Kenwood 1000 Watt amp/ 150 x 2 at 4 ohm/ 230 x 2 at 2 ohms, stable at 2 ohms

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
4 ohm DVC means each voice coil is 4 ohms.  I believe with 4 ohm DVC's you can wire them to a 1 or 4 ohm load with 2 subs.  I don't know if your amp is 1 ohm stable (based on what you've written it isn't), so I would suggest wiring to 4 ohms.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

S1C1=Sub1 Coil 1, S1C2=Sub1 Coil2, S2C1=Sub2 Coil1, S2C2=Sub2 Coil2.  Each will have a + and - associated with it....

Wire the following together:

Amp+, S1C1+, S2C1+

Amp-, S1C2-, S2C2-

S1C1-, S1C2+

S2C1-, S2C2+

Look here for a diagram: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard/index.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp=Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2&image.x=23&image.y=7

For a 4 ohm load you would want Wiring Option #2

Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
With a single DVC woofer at 4 ohms per voice coil, you can wire the voice coils in series to get 8 ohms or wire them in parallel to get 2 ohms. If you have two DVC woofers at 4 ohms per voice coil, they can be wired to get a 1, 4, or 16 ohm load (mono).
dem622 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies...

Well that dissapoints me, when I bought this stuff I had no clue on matching stuff up, so now I can only send 150 to each sub.  If I had known that I couldn't do 2 ohms, I would've gone a different route.  Ah well, they still hit pretty hard at 4 ohms (the way its set up now).

wvsquirrel 
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Crutchfield is running a special right now on a Rockford Power 500bd mono amp, 2 HE RF3412's (4 ohm SVC), and a Q-Logic enclosure.  I don't need the enclosure, but their prices on the special are pretty good.  Their specs on the 500bd are wrong though, its a 500 watt amp, but it's 300x1 at 4 ohms, and 600x1 at 2 ohms (straight from Rockford), not 250x1 and 500x1 as they claim.  I currently have the same setup with a different enclosure.  They claim it's a 140db setup.  If I pay the money to double what I currently have, OMG!  Of course I'd need another CAP and probably another battery as well.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
dem622 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2003 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

Well, the next thing I'm probably going to get is some good 6.5 component speakers.

Right now, I'm pretty much going for the Kicker Resolution series component set (I got some crappy Pioneer stuff right now), but until I pay for my tuition and books for school, it'll just be a dream...

Dennis

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic