icon

Disable Auto-Headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spalkin 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 4:41 AM / IP Logged  
I just read this great thread; http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183597 about how to disable Auto-headlights and DRL. I like the thought of DRL's but I want to be in full control of headlights. My '01 Silverado has the sensor right up front in the middle of the dash. I hear about guys splicing in resistors but after reading this thread I thought, "If the system goes into Auto because resistance from the photo-resistor goes down, then wouldn't simply unplugging the sensor do the trick? I mean how's that for resistance, nothing can get through."
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't messed around with the photocell on your type of truck, but from my experience with my other GM cars, unplugging the photocell does the opposite----causes the autolamps to come on all the time.
My guess would be that you need to do the opposite----use a switch to either introduce a resistor with very little resistance (a small number of Ohms), or possibly just short the two wires together with no resistor at all...........but I haven't tried it, so don't blame me if you try shorting them together and something breaks.
Also, I believe you can temporarily disable the autolamps by hitting the Dome Override button three times in a row.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
I would measure the resistance of the lamp under normal light and replace it with that size resistor.  I wouldn't be surprised if the auto lamp system faults to 'on' when either the sensor is shorted or opened as a safety feature.
Kevin Pierson
lsondubz 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2006 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
I just put some strip caulk over my photo cell so it clicks the headlamps on instead of the drls...then I just turn on my parking lamps...no headlights but the parking lights are on which is ok to me...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic