icon

connections for a pulsed horn output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, (going by #6) so maybe it's the flasher. Is it brand new? I think you're supposed to be able to feel something...like a clicking or something. Maybe the flasher is bad? Heck, maybe I'll just go run out into the parking lot and set off my alarm, and see if the flasher is clicking. Maybe that's it?
raceman17 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
cpgoose,
I have alot of old flashers from old cars (I have alot of old cars that I use for circle track racing) but, they all work when connected to a light and flasher.
who knows, i guess i will look for the correct wires in the column.
thanks
aaron
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
You have a lot of old flashers or old relays? connections for a pulsed horn output - Page 2 -- posted image.
Yea, maybe look for that other wire, too.
All I did was run to the local AutoZone, and bought a 12v car relay for like $2.00. I would say if its not clicking, then it's probably busted.
Good luck.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2003 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
I've had this EXACT problem before. I'll tell you exactly how to fix it. You see, the flasher will only actually "flash" if it sees a load(light, horn, etc.). Thats why you said the flasher worked when you connected it to a light, because it saw a load. The reason it wont work on the horn though, is because that negative wire you are connecting it to, is actually the negative trigger from the horn button to the factory horn relay. This wire only triggers a relay, thereore doesnt actually have a "load". To get a load on the horn wire, you have to interface after the relay, most cases, under the hood. To get it to work properly, connect it just like the diagram said, but connect it to a positive horn wire under the hood. I guarantee this will work!!! Believe me, its happened to me several times, and this always solved the problem. Also, you said you got a plain old 2dollar flasher from autozone. Go ahead and upgrade to an electronic flasher. They should be on the same rack near the $2 flashers. They last much longer, work better, and give a consistent flash rate every time. TRY THIS, AND LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS!!! Even if you wanna test it first, just run a wire outside the car to the horn to test it.
raceman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
CutDog504,
Do i need to leave the wiring from the (this is how mine is) pin 87 and 85 to ground or do i need to connect it like it is shown in the diagram with 87 being positive and 85 ground? I appreciate your suggestion and, I will try this tonight when I get home.
Thanks
Aaron
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
Do it exactly like in the diagram from cpgoose. With 87 on a positive and 85 on a ground. But first you have to find where your positive horn wire is. This is where you interface the wire from terminal "L" on the flasher. Double check to make sure the wire is positive. Put a test light on the wire under your hood going to the horn, and have an assistant press the horn button, the test light should light up if its the correct wire.
raceman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2003 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
cutdog
No problem, I will try this tonight. thanks
Aaron
raceman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  
Cutdog504 and Cpgoose,
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Last night I hooked the said wires up correctly on the otherside of the horn relay and BAM, no problem, works like a charm. I appreciate all of your help.
Thanks
Aaron
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
wahoo! Glad it finally worked.
Cutdog, I've never heard of that before.
Raceman....did you connect to the horn's wire under the hood, or did you find the horn relay and just go right after it?
Good job....welcome to having a very unique-sounding alarm :-)
raceman17 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2003 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
I went directly to the fuse panel under the hood and found the horn relay. I connected the wire on te other side of the relay. If I went for the horn, it was tucked away under the LF fenderwell. (real pain in the butt to remove, I suppose) but anyways, IT WORKS now, the siren goes off and the horn honks. Just like I wanted it too. Thanks guys
Aaron
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic